Old 28-11-2004, 04:49 AM
JudyH

Default my red and black currants don't produce fruit!

I live in Australia a moderate climate ie in winter we can almost get
a frost and in summer the temperature is fairly pleasant. I have 4
bushes of black and red currants and they are 3 years old. I have
never had any fruit. Could someone tell me if the climate is suitable,
or is there something else I can do to make them fruit. Many thanks
Old 28-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Steve

JudyH wrote:
I live in Australia a moderate climate ie in winter we can almost get
a frost and in summer the temperature is fairly pleasant. I have 4
bushes of black and red currants and they are 3 years old. I have
never had any fruit. Could someone tell me if the climate is suitable,
or is there something else I can do to make them fruit. Many thanks

It certainly could be your climate (not that I know anything about
growing in a warm climate).
What happens to the bushes in the winter? Do they loose their leaves and
go dormant for at least a little while? If not, I wonder if they will
produce the flower buds that will make the fruit. Have any of the bushes
flowered at all in the spring?

Steve in the Adirondacks (where winter dormancy is no problem)
Old 28-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:22:17 -0500, Steve wrote:

JudyH wrote:

I live in Australia a moderate climate ie in winter we can almost get
a frost and in summer the temperature is fairly pleasant. I have 4
bushes of black and red currants and they are 3 years old. I have
never had any fruit. Could someone tell me if the climate is suitable,
or is there something else I can do to make them fruit. Many thanks

It certainly could be your climate (not that I know anything about
growing in a warm climate).

One reference says " black currants will usually fail to fruit through
lack of winter chill" and another cites USDA zones 3-6b as "suitable"
climates; that is, with winter temperatures in the range of -40 to 0 F
(-40 to -18 C)

Steve in the Adirondacks (where winter dormancy is no problem)

(LOL, literally)

Black currants breaking bud, roses still in flower Martin Brown United Kingdom 9 03-12-2013 11:56 AM
Black Currants vsop United Kingdom 12 10-10-2010 04:08 PM
red currants Lee and Kath United Kingdom 2 27-03-2005 10:40 AM
my red and black currants don't produce fruit! JudyH Edible Gardening 0 28-11-2004 04:49 AM
red currants Lee and Kath United Kingdom 16 29-07-2003 12:13 PM