Old 04-12-2004, 02:21 PM
J Fortuna

Bob,

I don't know if the netiquette has changed in the last few years, but last
time I checked, posting in all upper case was considered the equivalent of
shouting, and was impolite. Did you really want to shout at us? I hope not.

Assuming you did not mean to shout:

First a question: Are those keikis coming from a spike (like flowers, up
high) or from the base of the plant?

If they are basal keikis, coming from the bottom of the plant, then I have
been told that one should not separate the keikies since in all likelihood
they share roots with the mother plant and may not be able to survive as
independent plants. In this case just enjoy the plants together, and it will
be quite impressive when all these plants bloom together.

If the keikies are growing from a spike however, then do not cut off the
keikis until they have at least 4 inches of roots total (for example: two
roots 1 inch each plus one root 2 inches long). If you cut the keikie off
earlier it won't have enough roots to survive without the mother plant. Once
the roots are well developped enough, you can try twisting the keikie off
the mother plant's spike, by holding the keiki by its base and giving it a
sharp twist, or you could cut the spike as close to the keiki as possible
without damaging the keiki. Then pot the keikie into its own little pot and
treat like any other Phal.

I've got one plant that started out as a keikie on a flower spike sometime
in 2002. This young Phal is in spike for the second time now. The first time
in bloomed I was amazed that the flowers were about the same size as the
parent plant only there were fewer of them (only 3 flowers). It's one of
those huge white flowered Phals.

I also have two Doritaenopsis with a basal keikie each, started this year.
The Dtps Kenneth Schubert basal keikie has been growing so fast that in two
or three years it may be hard to distinguish the mature plant from the
keikie. The other Dtps basal keikie sort of stopped growing, but its two
leaves look healthy, so I hope the mother plant is for now just
concentrating it's energy on flowering, and will continue to grow the basal
keikie once flowering season is over, or something like that.

Best,
Joanna

"Drbob92031" wrote in message

THANKS FOR THE RETURN, BUT I STILL WANT TO KNOW WHERE ON THE PLANT I

SHOULD CUT
OFF THE KIEKIES
THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INPUT.SORRY TO BE SUCH A PAIN.
BOB