Old 01-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Jim Lewis

On 1 Dec 2004 at 20:39, Tony wrote:

Hi:

I have found borers on a Picea (A. Nidiformis ... I think) that a friend
brought me a couple of weeks ago !!

I have read up all I could about it (including all of Nina's old posts) and
there seems to be little I can do to erradicate them.

Half of the tree is dead (the other half looks weak) so the bark flakes off
easily. There I have found some tunels under the bark. Some of them lead or
come from a sort of oval depressions. Some of them are blocked with resin as
the tree tried to fight this off. I can only find two probable entry points:
one is about 3 mm, the other 1 mm in diameter. In only one tunel I have
found evidence of being recent.

The question is:

Should I forget about this tree? Does the tree have a chance?

Borers don't attack healthy trees; this tree was already under
some kind of serious stress when the borers found it.
Especially if these are bark borers (NOT going into dead wood)
you probably don't have a prayer of saving the tree.

Unless you have other spruce (or closely related species) the
borer may not attack your other trees. And again, they'll have
to be doing poorly first -- though the stress of a drastic root
pruning could be enough.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see
land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it
with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++