Old 02-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Craig Cowing

Nina wrote:

Tony wrote:

snip

That being said, if you don't mind dead-wood, you can carve out borers.
I had an apricot bonsai that got plum borer (a borer that can only
penetrate at a pruning wound, so can be prevented once you know what's
going on). I successfully eradicated the borers and the tree thrived,
but the surgery I did looked ridiculous on a non-conifer, so I gave up
and planted the tree. As soon as I find a good source of single-white
blossom flowering apricots, I'll try again, because I love apricot
flowers. There's something so pretty about such delicate, fragrant
flowers blooming so early against a background of black bark.

Nina

I don't have any experience with this type of borer, but I had them for a couple of
years on some collected wild crabapples. I just carved out the tunnels they had
made and turned them into areas of deadwood. Adds to the character.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++