Old 05-12-2004, 07:24 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Ian Cundell" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hill" wrote:

Rafal wrote."..I cut a couple of low branches off my multi-stem Silver

Birch
To my consternation, nobody seems to have told the tree it is December

and
it is bleeding.
b) Any ideas what to do?.........."

Get yourself a bucket, catch the sap and make "Birch Wine"
Birch Wine. ... Ingredients. 1 gallon birch sap; 4 1/2 cups granulated
sugar; 2 oranges or 1 lemon, sliced thin; campden tablets; 1 package

wine
yeast. ...

--
David Hill

www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Heh. Getting a gallon of the stuff might be a challenge.

Only tried this once, years ago.

I managed to get about 1/2 gallon from one large birch tree (only one we
had).

Made a very nice wine, but a lot of trouble collecting the sap.

The tree survied with no obvious ill affects.

Cheers

Dave R