Old 05-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Ian Cundell

Default Sliver birch bleeding - worry?

I cut a couple of low branches off my multi-stem Silver Birch (oldest
stem is about 15-16 ft, youngest about 6 ft). The biggest couple of
branches cut were about 12mm next to the trunk.

To my consternation, nobody seems to have told the tree it is December
and it is bleeding. I did similar stuff last year with no bleeding
bleeding. The small stem seems to be worst. Heal&Seal won't take.

a) Should I be concerned?

b) Any ideas what to do? Gentle tough with a blow torch?

c) Anything else I should do?

Ta.

wishing for good hard frost

--
"Noah's Ark is a problem...We'll have to
call it early quantum state phenomenon--
Old 05-12-2004, 05:23 PM
David Hill

Rafal wrote."..I cut a couple of low branches off my multi-stem Silver Birch
To my consternation, nobody seems to have told the tree it is December and
it is bleeding.
b) Any ideas what to do?.........."

Get yourself a bucket, catch the sap and make "Birch Wine"
Birch Wine. ... Ingredients. 1 gallon birch sap; 4 1/2 cups granulated
sugar; 2 oranges or 1 lemon, sliced thin; campden tablets; 1 package wine
yeast. ...

--
David Hill

www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Old 05-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Ian Cundell wrote:
I cut a couple of low branches off my multi-stem Silver Birch (oldest
stem is about 15-16 ft, youngest about 6 ft). The biggest couple of
branches cut were about 12mm next to the trunk.

To my consternation, nobody seems to have told the tree it is December
and it is bleeding. I did similar stuff last year with no bleeding
bleeding. The small stem seems to be worst. Heal&Seal won't take.

a) Should I be concerned?

b) Any ideas what to do? Gentle tough with a blow torch?

c) Anything else I should do?

I wouldn't worry - birches are pretty tough.

Nick.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Ian Cundell

In article ,
"David Hill" wrote:

Rafal wrote."..I cut a couple of low branches off my multi-stem Silver Birch
To my consternation, nobody seems to have told the tree it is December and
it is bleeding.
b) Any ideas what to do?.........."

Get yourself a bucket, catch the sap and make "Birch Wine"
Birch Wine. ... Ingredients. 1 gallon birch sap; 4 1/2 cups granulated
sugar; 2 oranges or 1 lemon, sliced thin; campden tablets; 1 package wine
yeast. ...

--
David Hill

www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Heh. Getting a gallon of the stuff might be a challenge.

(who's Rafal?)

Old 05-12-2004, 07:24 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Ian Cundell" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hill" wrote:

Rafal wrote."..I cut a couple of low branches off my multi-stem Silver

Birch
To my consternation, nobody seems to have told the tree it is December

and
it is bleeding.
b) Any ideas what to do?.........."

Get yourself a bucket, catch the sap and make "Birch Wine"
Birch Wine. ... Ingredients. 1 gallon birch sap; 4 1/2 cups granulated
sugar; 2 oranges or 1 lemon, sliced thin; campden tablets; 1 package

wine
yeast. ...

--
David Hill

www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Heh. Getting a gallon of the stuff might be a challenge.

Only tried this once, years ago.

I managed to get about 1/2 gallon from one large birch tree (only one we
had).

Made a very nice wine, but a lot of trouble collecting the sap.

The tree survied with no obvious ill affects.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 05-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Franz Heymann

"David Hill" wrote in message
Rafal wrote."..I cut a couple of low branches off my multi-stem

Silver Birch
To my consternation, nobody seems to have told the tree it is

December and
it is bleeding.
b) Any ideas what to do?.........."

Get yourself a bucket, catch the sap and make "Birch Wine"
Birch Wine. ... Ingredients. 1 gallon birch sap; 4 1/2 cups

granulated
sugar; 2 oranges or 1 lemon, sliced thin; campden tablets; 1 package

wine
yeast. ...

I have never made Birch Wine, but i would testify that Sycamore Wine
is an excellent drink.

Franz

Old 05-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Franz Heymann

"David Hill" wrote:

Rafal wrote."..I cut a couple of low branches off my multi-stem

Silver Birch
To my consternation, nobody seems to have told the tree it is

December and
it is bleeding.
b) Any ideas what to do?.........."

Get yourself a bucket, catch the sap and make "Birch Wine"
Birch Wine. ... Ingredients. 1 gallon birch sap; 4 1/2 cups

granulated
sugar; 2 oranges or 1 lemon, sliced thin; campden tablets; 1

package wine
yeast. ...

--
David Hill

www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Heh. Getting a gallon of the stuff might be a challenge.

It is collected by a similar technique to that used to tap a rubber
tree.
You would need to have access to two or three trees to collect a
gallon.

(who's Rafal?)

"Noah's Ark is a problem...We'll have to
call it early quantum state phenomenon--
Only way to fit five-thousand species of
mammal on the same boat"

Only if they are bosons.

Franz

Old 06-12-2004, 05:08 AM
Alan Gould

In article , David W.E. Roberts
writes
Heh. Getting a gallon of the stuff might be a challenge.

Only tried this once, years ago.

I managed to get about 1/2 gallon from one large birch tree (only one we
had).

Made a very nice wine, but a lot of trouble collecting the sap.

The tree survied with no obvious ill affects.

Walnut tree sap can be used in much the same way. In springtime I drill
a hole in the bark large enough to take a siphon tube and collect the
sap in a demi-john. Our very large walnut trees provide a gallon of sap
in a few days. The hole heals over during the following summer.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.