Old 06-12-2004, 07:46 PM
dan2626_verizon_news

I have no idea on where all the baby fish came from but this is my first
pond season and I also have small gf. I spoke to the owner of a local
reputable pet shop and he said that as long as I keep an opening in the pond
and don't let it freeze solid the fish should be fine. He advised me to
just run my pump a few inches below the edge of the pond as to not circulate
the colder water into the bottom of the pond and wait until Spring. I live
in Zone 5 and my pond is only 2' deep and a mere 170 gallons. I was
concerned about trusting whether this would really work but he also said he
has the same size pond and after talking for a bit it seems he has the exact
same preformed pond as me.

Dan

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
. com...
Hi all-
I have a few questions about babies. All of my fish, cept two were small
when I got them (this season), including tiny feeders. So I was surprised
when earlier this summer I started seeing babies. I have about 15 of
various sizes. The 'two' were some chunky Shubunkins that were 5-6 inches.
Most of the babies just look like regular comets, although even some of
them are short finned and some long. There are 3 or 4 that look like they
could be Shubunkins. Though they are still primarily gold they do have
some black patches/patterns beginning to form- not the black along the top
fin stressed markings. 1) So my first question is how old do goldfish
have to be to reproduce? Just remembered I also have a sarasa who just
has a red band near his tail. It was maybe four inches when I got it.
2)Now I also have a baby about the size I got the first one with almost
exactly the same markings?
3)Lastly I have what appears to be an emerging shubunkin (gold with black
markings) but the bottom part of the V of its tail is split. This almost
appears to be a fan tail, except that it is slender like a comet and as
best I can tell the top part of its tail fin is not split but the bottom
is.
It is all very curious to me. To have basically immature fish but around
5 different varieties of babies out of only 15 or so.
Being in Austin, the winters are quite mild. For instance, my water temp
is still between 55 and 60, though I am sure it will get colder. What is
their chance of survival. Most of them are only about 2-2 1/2 inches,
although several are much more substantial both in length and girth. 4)If
necessary I am tempted to find a large 'tub' and put a few of the
interesting small ones in the garage or even a 20 gal aquarium with a
small filter, airstone etc.

So - where do you think they came from and what is their chance of
survival?
Thanxx
Bill Brister -Austin, Texas