Old 06-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Newbie Bill

Default Mystery baby fish

Hi all-
I have a few questions about babies. All of my fish, cept two were small
when I got them (this season), including tiny feeders. So I was surprised
when earlier this summer I started seeing babies. I have about 15 of
various sizes. The 'two' were some chunky Shubunkins that were 5-6 inches.
Most of the babies just look like regular comets, although even some of them
are short finned and some long. There are 3 or 4 that look like they could
be Shubunkins. Though they are still primarily gold they do have some black
patches/patterns beginning to form- not the black along the top fin stressed
markings. 1) So my first question is how old do goldfish have to be to
reproduce? Just remembered I also have a sarasa who just has a red band
near his tail. It was maybe four inches when I got it. 2)Now I also have a
baby about the size I got the first one with almost exactly the same
markings?
3)Lastly I have what appears to be an emerging shubunkin (gold with black
markings) but the bottom part of the V of its tail is split. This almost
appears to be a fan tail, except that it is slender like a comet and as best
I can tell the top part of its tail fin is not split but the bottom is.
It is all very curious to me. To have basically immature fish but around
5 different varieties of babies out of only 15 or so.
Being in Austin, the winters are quite mild. For instance, my water temp
is still between 55 and 60, though I am sure it will get colder. What is
their chance of survival. Most of them are only about 2-2 1/2 inches,
although several are much more substantial both in length and girth. 4)If
necessary I am tempted to find a large 'tub' and put a few of the
interesting small ones in the garage or even a 20 gal aquarium with a small
filter, airstone etc.

So - where do you think they came from and what is their chance of survival?
Thanxx
Bill Brister -Austin, Texas

Old 06-12-2004, 07:46 PM
dan2626_verizon_news

I have no idea on where all the baby fish came from but this is my first
pond season and I also have small gf. I spoke to the owner of a local
reputable pet shop and he said that as long as I keep an opening in the pond
and don't let it freeze solid the fish should be fine. He advised me to
just run my pump a few inches below the edge of the pond as to not circulate
the colder water into the bottom of the pond and wait until Spring. I live
in Zone 5 and my pond is only 2' deep and a mere 170 gallons. I was
concerned about trusting whether this would really work but he also said he
has the same size pond and after talking for a bit it seems he has the exact
same preformed pond as me.

Dan

. com...

Old 06-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Derek Broughton

Newbie Bill wrote:

1) So my first question is how old do goldfish have to be to
reproduce? Just remembered I also have a sarasa who just has a red band
near his tail. It was maybe four inches when I got it.

Between the two shubunkins and the sarassa, you certainly have plenty of
adults to have bred. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the little ones
were sexually mature early enough in the season to breed, too.

3)Lastly I have what appears to be an emerging shubunkin (gold with black
markings) but the bottom part of the V of its tail is split. This almost
appears to be a fan tail, except that it is slender like a comet and as
best I can tell the top part of its tail fin is not split but the bottom
is.

They're all goldfish: they don't always breed true even if you breed a
Shubunkin to a Shubunkin. If you put a Sarassa, and maybe even others,
into the mix, you'll get, oh...
5 different varieties of babies out of only 15 or so.

Yeah, about that :-)

Being in Austin, the winters are quite mild. For instance, my water
temp
is still between 55 and 60, though I am sure it will get colder. What is
their chance of survival.

Due to weather? 100% Pray for predators.

--
derek
Old 07-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Crashj

On or about Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:27:06 GMT, "Newbie Bill"
wrote something like:

Hi all-
I have a few questions about babies.

So - where do you think they came from and what is their chance of survival?

Well, Bill, when a mommie fish sees a daddie fish and she really likes
him she will let him . . .

Seriously, it is just an indication that your pond came to a good
natural balance quickly. I had over 1000 baby rosies appear around
August. The water temp is now down to 38*F and there are 50-100 still
alive. You can't save them all.
Generally speaking our pet fish stock will not breed true, but there
is no harm done if you put a couple in a tank over Winter and see what
is pond-ready in the Spring.
--
Crashj
Old 07-12-2004, 10:52 PM
Gail Futoran

I had a few minnows and goldfish in a stocktank.
When I upgraded to a larger stocktank I used the
occasion to separate the two species. Problem is,
two of the "minnows" kept growing and started
to change color to something suspiciously like ...
goldfish.

Eventually I moved the babies back into the goldfish
pond and one is almost a carbon copy of the white
goldfish with red markings; the other baby is a
carbon copy of the solid gold goldfish.

No casual reproducing has gone on this year, or it
has and the adults got the babies. But it was fun
watching the baby goldfish grow and slowly change
colors to match the adults.

Gail
near San Antonio TX

2 baby koi, 1 baby plant ~ janj Ponds 6 14-05-2006 12:42 AM
Mystery Weed Identified, new mystery weed, Central Ohio Ron Hardin Plant Science 5 21-04-2006 11:23 PM
Does anybody know if mosquito control or algacide will kill baby fish? George Ponds (alternative) 2 03-05-2004 05:06 AM
Baby Fish: When to Put into Pond NJ Ponds 1 20-10-2003 02:12 AM
Please help with baby fish ID Craig Cagle Ponds 7 11-06-2003 02:20 PM