Old 06-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Derek Broughton

Newbie Bill wrote:

1) So my first question is how old do goldfish have to be to
reproduce? Just remembered I also have a sarasa who just has a red band
near his tail. It was maybe four inches when I got it.

Between the two shubunkins and the sarassa, you certainly have plenty of
adults to have bred. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the little ones
were sexually mature early enough in the season to breed, too.

3)Lastly I have what appears to be an emerging shubunkin (gold with black
markings) but the bottom part of the V of its tail is split. This almost
appears to be a fan tail, except that it is slender like a comet and as
best I can tell the top part of its tail fin is not split but the bottom
is.

They're all goldfish: they don't always breed true even if you breed a
Shubunkin to a Shubunkin. If you put a Sarassa, and maybe even others,
into the mix, you'll get, oh...
5 different varieties of babies out of only 15 or so.

Yeah, about that :-)

Being in Austin, the winters are quite mild. For instance, my water
temp
is still between 55 and 60, though I am sure it will get colder. What is
their chance of survival.

Due to weather? 100% Pray for predators.

--
derek