Old 07-12-2004, 10:23 AM
jane

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:59:56 +0100, Martin wrote:

~On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:50:45 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:
~
~
~"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
~
~[snip]
~
~ Thanks Jane. What's the thing called a brass opener for opening?
~ Yorkshire wallets? :-)
~
~Perhaps the typesetter got to be a bit overenthusiastic about the
~number of "s's at the end of the word?
~
~dirty beast :-)
~
~It says "horn" in German.

Honestly! You lot....

And apparently that kind of knife is called something totally
different over there (a word which is a name, not descriptive), but I
was several words behind in my translation of the salesman's chat and
missed exactly what he said as I can only usually pick up every 4th
word anyway...
But I now have a spare which I shall pop in a safe place and hopefully
not need for a long time.

But back to the original point, I tend to regularly heave about a
garden fork, a Wolfgarten handle, a hoe attachment plus a few other
bits including my pruners and a trowel (and occasionally shears for
the grass).
They could all be used to great effect for self-defence, a fact that
doesn't escape most of the female allotment holders!

I don't leave them up at the lotties as they'd get nicked. Our local
police came to give a talk on security at the last AGM and said they
advise allotment gardeners to carry all their tools to and from the
allotments in order to stop theft.

If anyone therefore stops me between there and home, I shall point out
I was simply obeying the local sergeant who said it in front of the
Mayor and about 50 other witnesses

--
jane

Mark Twain