Old 30-11-2004, 04:38 PM
jane

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:45:32 +0100, Martin wrote:

~On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:34:34 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:
~
~On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:09:04 +0100, Martin wrote:
~
~~I can't find this on the web. Is it sold as gardening knife?
~
~I got it from a stall at Chelsea in 03.
~
~~It seems like it would make a good Christmas present.
~yes, but they seem to have, as you noticed, discontinued it in favour
~of three separate knives.
~
~That's torn it. I'll probably lose it now it's irreplaceable :-(
~
~Nope! Found it!!!! See the second from bottom (and hope they still
~have some) code AK39116
~
~http://www.walshbrothers.co.uk/Updat..._penknives.htm
~
~Thanks Jane. What's the thing called a brass opener for opening?
~Yorkshire wallets? :-)
~
I think it's the budding knife.

(and thanks for the laugh!)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 30-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Nick Gray

That's torn it. I'll probably lose it now it's irreplaceable :-(

Nope! Found it!!!! See the second from bottom (and hope they still
have some) code AK39116

You could always get a belt pouch for your knife:

http://www.minitools.co.uk/index.htm...ox/pouches.htm

But then it would be easy to spot if you got stopped on your way home :-(

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 30-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Martin contains these words:

Thanks Jane. What's the thing called a brass opener for opening?
Yorkshire wallets? :-)

Brasses. HTH

HAND

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 30-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message

[snip]

Thanks Jane. What's the thing called a brass opener for opening?
Yorkshire wallets? :-)

Perhaps the typesetter got to be a bit overenthusiastic about the
number of "s's at the end of the word?

Franz

Old 30-11-2004, 10:47 PM
jane

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:22:23 +0100, Martin wrote:

~On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:06:34 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:
~
~On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:58:09 +0000, bigboard
wrote:
~
~~Martin wrote:
~~
~~I have a stainless swiss army gardening knife I got a couple of years
~~ago for the allotment and it's got both a convex and a concave blade
~~together with a budding knife. It's one of the most useful tools I've
~~got, having gone through several inferior gardening knives, and in
~~fact Victorinox only deserve one huge slap on the wrist for the design
~~as they left off a hoop for securing it to a chain so it's easy to
~~drop and lose... so far so good, though.
~~
~~ I can't find this on the web. Is it sold as gardening knife?
~~
~~ It seems like it would make a good Christmas present.
~~
~~Found this site which has a selection on Swiss Army Knives for gardeners:
~~
~~http://www.walshbrothers.co.uk/Updat..._penknives.htm
~~
~~
~oops replying again googling for 39116 and victorinox turns up a
~few more locations, mostly overseas, but there's one here
~
~http://www.burton-mccall.co.uk/dsp_d...id=1&fromrec=1
~
~The size is given wrong in the Walsh Brothers one. No way is it that
~small! I'd say 3.5".
~
~I also found it on a German site, saying it's 10cm long (I agree) and
~that it was in the catalogue in August. Assuming aufnehmen means to
~receive...
~
~"aufgenommen"?

past tense of aufnehmen. The 'auf' is always on the front and you
acquire a 'ge' when it's past tense, and it's one of the verbs I spent
hours learning 3 or so years ago. Weird thing is, it looks like it
ought to be translated as to take out! But it's the opposite...

~
~https://ssl.victorinox-shop.de/produ...oducts_id=1867
~Okuliermesser, rot, 2 Klingen, mit Hornlöser
~[39116] 24,50EUR
~Okuliermesser, rot, 2 Klingen, mit Hornlöser
blade -- die Klinge
~Für eine grössere Darstellung
~klicken Sie auf das Bild.
~
~Okuliermesser
budding knife -- das Okuliermesser
~
~Klingen: 100mm rostfrei, gebogen und geschweift
~Schalen: Nylon rot
~Hornlöser
horn release? hmmmm....

~Dieses Produkt haben wir am Friday, 13. August 2004 in unseren Katalog
~aufgenommen.
~
~NOT IN STOCK!

Bummer.

I am off to Berlin on Friday and I know I'll be going to a knife shop
we know as Sir wishes to get a new steel, so I'll have a look.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 01-12-2004, 08:23 AM
Franz Heymann

"jane" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:22:23 +0100, Martin wrote:

~"aufgenommen"?

past tense of aufnehmen. The 'auf' is always on the front and you
acquire a 'ge' when it's past tense, and it's one of the verbs I

spent
hours learning 3 or so years ago. Weird thing is, it looks like it
ought to be translated as to take out! But it's the opposite...

Not really. "Aus is "out". "Auf" is "up", hence "taken up" which
might be translated loosely as "received"

[snip]

Franz

Old 07-12-2004, 10:23 AM
jane

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:59:56 +0100, Martin wrote:

~On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:50:45 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:
~
~
~"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
~
~[snip]
~
~ Thanks Jane. What's the thing called a brass opener for opening?
~ Yorkshire wallets? :-)
~
~Perhaps the typesetter got to be a bit overenthusiastic about the
~number of "s's at the end of the word?
~
~dirty beast :-)
~
~It says "horn" in German.

Honestly! You lot....

And apparently that kind of knife is called something totally
different over there (a word which is a name, not descriptive), but I
was several words behind in my translation of the salesman's chat and
missed exactly what he said as I can only usually pick up every 4th
word anyway...
But I now have a spare which I shall pop in a safe place and hopefully
not need for a long time.

But back to the original point, I tend to regularly heave about a
garden fork, a Wolfgarten handle, a hoe attachment plus a few other
bits including my pruners and a trowel (and occasionally shears for
the grass).
They could all be used to great effect for self-defence, a fact that
doesn't escape most of the female allotment holders!

I don't leave them up at the lotties as they'd get nicked. Our local
police came to give a talk on security at the last AGM and said they
advise allotment gardeners to carry all their tools to and from the
allotments in order to stop theft.

If anyone therefore stops me between there and home, I shall point out
I was simply obeying the local sergeant who said it in front of the
Mayor and about 50 other witnesses

--
jane

Mark Twain