Old 07-12-2004, 06:56 PM

they are different colors, not different species, altho butterflies are hybrids.
breeding for good looking koi is an art that takes a lot of study and knowing
genetics.
start with a few koi from a known dealer or somebody you know has healthy fish. in
addition to your pond you will need a quarantine facility (we mostly use rubbermaid
stock tanks) for new fish after you put in your first few fish.
you need to go slow and get the wrinkles out of ponding before getting the pond
really stocked. Ingrid

Next spring I intend on stocking with koi and since their are so many
species out there

Im thinking of
limiting the types to try and keep a specific species with the hopes
of possibly breeding them.

or should I even be concerned about which types I
have?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com