Old 07-12-2004, 01:59 AM
rider

Default Koi selection - Mvc-550f.jpg (0/1)

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any good info, site or other regarding the
specifics of the different koi types? ie: breeding, sizes,
hardyness, popularity, sellability, etc.

Next spring I intend on stocking with koi and since their are so many
species out there I figured on researching which ones I would like. I
have made up a decision to stick with only koi. Im thinking of
limiting the types to try and keep a specific species with the hopes
of possibly breeding them. But then I also want a good selection of
koi to look........or should I even be concerned about which types I
have? There are so many different types out there that frankly Im a
bit confused.

Thanks,
Rick

5000+ gallons

Old 07-12-2004, 03:08 PM
Hal

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 19:59:38 -0600, rider wrote:

Wondering if anyone has any good info, site or other regarding the
specifics of the different koi types? ie: breeding, sizes,
hardyness, popularity, sellability, etc.

I'd start he http://www.akca.org/ Then join a club, subscribe to
magazines and follow the competitions/shows, that is where the
standards/prices are set. I hope you enjoy the experience.

Personally I have 4 koi and a slug of shubunkin descendants, some nice
color here and there, but nothing in my pond is worth $25. They
aren't for sale anyway. Yesterday I probably fed Dirty Face out of
my hand the last time this year, but that was one of my more exciting
moments of the day. I really look forward to warm weather again.

Regards,

Hal
Old 07-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Benign Vanilla

"rider" wrote in message
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any good info, site or other regarding the
specifics of the different koi types? ie: breeding, sizes,
hardyness, popularity, sellability, etc.

Next spring I intend on stocking with koi and since their are so many
species out there I figured on researching which ones I would like. I
have made up a decision to stick with only koi. Im thinking of
limiting the types to try and keep a specific species with the hopes
of possibly breeding them. But then I also want a good selection of
koi to look........or should I even be concerned about which types I
have? There are so many different types out there that frankly Im a
bit confused.

Check out http://www.iheartmypond.com/Animals/...oi/default.asp for a
bunch of links on Koi.

BV.

Old 07-12-2004, 06:56 PM

they are different colors, not different species, altho butterflies are hybrids.
breeding for good looking koi is an art that takes a lot of study and knowing
genetics.
start with a few koi from a known dealer or somebody you know has healthy fish. in
addition to your pond you will need a quarantine facility (we mostly use rubbermaid
stock tanks) for new fish after you put in your first few fish.
you need to go slow and get the wrinkles out of ponding before getting the pond
really stocked. Ingrid

Next spring I intend on stocking with koi and since their are so many
species out there

Im thinking of
limiting the types to try and keep a specific species with the hopes
of possibly breeding them.

or should I even be concerned about which types I
have?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:09 AM
RichToyBox

The different types of koi, ie named varieties, are all based on color
differences. A red and white koi for example is a kohaku. If you breed two
kohaku, you will get more kohaku than you would if you breed a kohaku with
some other variety, and a whole lot more than you would get if there were no
kohaku as a member of the breeding pair, but the colors and patterns are
random, and therefore, you will get a little of about anything from a
breeding. To get really good fry, with high percentages of your desired
variety, requires a very good male and female. Good varieties are
expensive. The number of eggs will number in the tens of thousands, but
after natural selection, culling of poor specimens, culling of near poor
specimens later, and further culling, you will end up with very few good,
expensive koi.

I have good, expensive koi, but give away all but 2 or three fry at the end
of the season, and those will be given away after about 2 more years. I
have had one develop nice enough to sell, and one to keep in my crowded
--
RichToyBox
pond.