Old 08-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , John DH nospammJohn@celt
icgods.co.uknospamm writes
Hello,

I have a mature Pieris, which has suddenly sprouted a single shoot which
looks like a rhododendron. What could be causing this? all the other new
growths are normal. Should I remove it and is it worth propagating?

I have not seen this before, pictures are here www.hydrogene.co.uk/plants

Rhododendron and Pieris are not particularly closely related - they
belong to the same family (Ericaceae), but different subfamilies
(Rhododendroideae and Vaccinioideae). A Rhododendron-like sport on a
Pieris would be 'surprising'.

Are you sure that the plant isn't a variegated Rhododendron? (There's a
variegated form of Rhododendron ponticum, and I wouldn't be surprised if
there weren't others.) The bud on the 'sport' definitely looks like a
Rhododendron bud, but the buds on the parent plant, while not so clear,
also look like Rhododendron buds - the inflorescence of Pieris takes a
different form, and you can tell the difference by this time of year.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley