Old 11-12-2004, 01:42 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 12/10/2004 9:19:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

It was found that
the trees nibbed by animals budded back much more. It is unknown what
causes this, the way they nibble or maybe a reaction to the saliva.

I suspect it was more in the way the cut is made. When we prune we
strive for the cleanest cut possible, but the animal crushes the stem as it
bites.
There are usually two types of pruners available, the cross cut and
anvil. I suspect that most of us use bonsai cutters or cross cut pruners that
make a clean cut. But the anvil might work better if we want backbudding because
it crushes more stem. I think rose growers favor this type partly because the
crushed stem of cut flowers would have more surface area to take up water.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++