Old 10-12-2004, 12:06 AM
Henrik Gistvall

Jim Lewis wrote:

Well, using a goat to do it IS a bit unorthodox, but most (or at
least many) deciduous species will benefit from having terminal
buds removed over the winter. The "liberates" the auxiliary
buds behind it. Results include smaller leaves and more
ramification.

Actually the have made some studies here in Sweden on trees nibbled by
animals and other by mechanical means like pruners. It was found that
the trees nibbed by animals budded back much more. It is unknown what
causes this, the way they nibble or maybe an reaction to the saliva.
Maybe in the near future you will be able to buy syntetic saliva to
increase the bud back, maybe the Super thrive people will have a go-at
it ;-).

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 10-12-2004, 02:20 AM
Jim Lewis

On 10 Dec 2004 at 1:09, Henrik Gistvall wrote:

Jim Lewis wrote:

Well, using a goat to do it IS a bit unorthodox, but most (or at
least many) deciduous species will benefit from having terminal
buds removed over the winter. The "liberates" the auxiliary
buds behind it. Results include smaller leaves and more
ramification.

Actually the have made some studies here in Sweden on trees nibbled by
animals and other by mechanical means like pruners. It was found that
the trees nibbed by animals budded back much more. It is unknown what
causes this, the way they nibble or maybe an reaction to the saliva.
Maybe in the near future you will be able to buy syntetic saliva to
increase the bud back, maybe the Super thrive people will have a go-at
it ;-).

DANG! The secret's out! Goat saliva! No wonder it
(Superthrive) smells so bad.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 10-12-2004, 02:28 AM
Marty Haber

Henrik - I will donate my saliva free of charge.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:28 AM
Marty Haber