Old 11-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Bob H

Default Honeysuckle question(s)

About 3 years ago we planted 2 honeysuckle plants/climbers into 2
planters with a trellis at the back. The first year of growth produced
an abundance of shoots and leaves with some flowers. The second year it
did not do very well at all. Not many shoots/leaves, and no flowers. So
last backend I cut both plants right back and hoped they would do better
this year, but they did not. Again like last year, no flowers and not
many shoots/leaves. Today I was about to start cutting them back again,
when I noticed some small blue berries on them, so I stopped cutting and
left them for the birds to eat.

Now then, should I have cut both plants back in the late autumn, and why
did they not do well last year. Also as this is the first time I have
seen berries on them, is this a normall thing. ie first year did well
second year no flowers, third year no flowers, but berries.
How can I get them to do well again next year? I have given them some
plant food last year, and also placed some rotted garden waste around
the base of the plants.

Thanks

--
Bob H