Old 14-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:00 +0000 (GMT), (Steve
Harris) wrote:

Anybody here grown this?

I grew one this year and it's certainly ornamental but production of
young leaves for eating is minuscule. I suppose it could be because of
the severe cabbage white attack when I was away for 10 days in the
summer?

Or is it not really a serious food plant?

I have grown it. The greener the leaf, the better it is, especially
in its lutein content which is good for the eyes, and having a retinal
disease I grow anything I think will help.
The first time I saw it growing on another allotment, it had huge,
wide leaves. The ones I have grown have very narrow leaves. Maybe I
should feed it more, or maybe I saw another variety. It has tough ribs
which need to be cut out. It needs longer cooking and is very strong
flavoured.
I admit I don't eat much of it though I grow a few every year.
I have not had a whitefly problem......so far.

Pam in Bristol