Old 14-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Steve Harris

Default Black Tuscan Kale - opinions?

Anybody here grown this?

I grew one this year and it's certainly ornamental but production of
young leaves for eating is minuscule. I suppose it could be because of
the severe cabbage white attack when I was away for 10 days in the
summer?

Or is it not really a serious food plant?

Thanks!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 15-12-2004, 09:29 AM
Max Wright

In message , Steve Harris
writes
In article ,
(Pam Moore) wrote:

I admit I don't eat much of it though I grow a few every year.

How productive would you say it is? I reckon To have had about 2oz/50g
from 1 plant

I've grown this on and off for several years and find it a useful plant
yielding smallish amounts over a long period. I tend to use just a few
leaves at a time combined with other stuff in stir fries and salads.
This year from 3 plants started in May I've taken 14 pickings since
mid-July and expect to continue taking leaves and flowering shoots until
next March or April.

I do tend to be rather mean with feeding - a little compost if they're
lucky. A friend with whom I shared seedlings a couple of years ago grew
much bigger and more productive plants - but she gave them a lot of
chicken manure and seaweed meal.

I have not had a whitefly problem......so far.

I meant butterfly/caterpillar

I do find whitefly a bit of a problem, particularly since the unusual
leaf texture makes them harder to rub off. In my experience this plant
is also fairly prone to mildew and white blister.
--
Max Wright
www.plotcrop.co.uk