Old 11-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Ben Griffin

I live in california zone 10 we got hit by an cold front from alaska
for 2 nights. One night was 31 degrees overnight the other night was
38. I brought in my bourganvillea the next day. I put it under my
metal halide light gave it fish seaweed last week, and dyna grow grow
this week. Along with a tiny bit of superthrive "whether that product
works or not is another topic". Its around 60 years old has a carved
out trunk and has been in my care for 10 years. During these two
weeks it dropped 95 percent of its leaves. The remaining leaves are
doing well and are showing no signs of falling off. I have a
humidifier warm mist aimed straight at it all day to emulate a more
tropical condition. I'm keeping the humidity around 80 percent for it.
And the metal halide light is on for 10 hours a day. I've seen no
new growth yet so im worried about it. I used to live in new york
city zone 7 i never let it get below 40. It would loose its leaves
and recover rapidly. I'm worried now that the branches although they
are not young were shocked by the 31 degree weather. There are flower
buds but they arn't swelling and i have seen no new signs of growth.
I'm thinking about drastically cutting back the branches.
Bourganvillea planted in the ground here is evergreen and flowers all
year. I think you should definitely mulch the pot. If i were you i
would bring it inside. I've done the same thing every year but i
thought out here it could stay out year round i was wrong. Before as
soon as temps hit 40 it would come inside loose 90 percent of its
leaves and recover but this time im not so sure.

The good news about the hard frost out here was that my european larch
changed color and browned its needles. I had been told this tree was
ungrowable in this climate. Also my cork bark elm is changing color
which i didn't expect to happen. Its a much more beautiful color
change then i ever saw in NY. I think you can take at least 2 zones
off ever zone you live in for a potted bonsai. So i would say your
more like zone 7. My recommendation is get it inside or into a
controlled greenhouse.

I'll post an update on the list if my bourgie sprouts back out from its
older branches. Or if it doesn't.

Anyway best of luck

Ben

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++