Old 11-12-2004, 02:17 AM
Kirby Johnson

Default help w. my Bougainvillea

i live in texas, a few weeks ago when it started to get cooler i brought
both my Bougainvillea (a pixie and a larger variety) closer to the house
in my atrium. but now they are not doing good. they lost alot of leaves.
(i think my cats had a lot to do with that). i put them back in the
yard, but i know once leaves drop its not good. any advice to save my
trees? one was a gift and i would ahte to loose it.

thank you,

kirby
Old 11-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Jim Lewis

On 11 Dec 2004 at 2:17, Kirby Johnson wrote:

i live in texas, a few weeks ago when it started to get cooler i brought
both my Bougainvillea (a pixie and a larger variety) closer to the house
in my atrium. but now they are not doing good. they lost alot of leaves.
(i think my cats had a lot to do with that). i put them back in the
yard, but i know once leaves drop its not good. any advice to save my
trees? one was a gift and i would ahte to loose it.

Bougainvillea are not evergreen. In areas where it gets a bit
cold (zone 8 or so) they will lose all their leaves almost
overnight once temperatures hit the upper 30s. They should do
OK located near a south wall of a building (especially a heated
building) unless temperatures get to the mid 20s, but to be safe
you could pile mulch up around and just over the pots.

You don't say where you are in texas, but if you live in an area
that is colder then zone 8, you probably need to bring them
inside or into a greenhouse or cold frame for the winter.

But in any event, barring cat damage, losing leaves in the fall
is OK.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 11-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Kirby Johnson

thanks,

I live in Houston (zone 9?) unfortunatly the south side of my house is
my neibors backyard. i will most definatly try the mulch.

- kirby

Old 11-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Jim Lewis

On 11 Dec 2004 at 15:53, Kirby Johnson wrote:

thanks,

I live in Houston (zone 9?) unfortunatly the south side of my house is
my neibors backyard. i will most definatly try the mulch.

- kirby

In zone 9, I wouldn't bother. Your bougy will do just fine.

Old 11-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Ben Griffin

I live in california zone 10 we got hit by an cold front from alaska
for 2 nights. One night was 31 degrees overnight the other night was
38. I brought in my bourganvillea the next day. I put it under my
metal halide light gave it fish seaweed last week, and dyna grow grow
this week. Along with a tiny bit of superthrive "whether that product
works or not is another topic". Its around 60 years old has a carved
out trunk and has been in my care for 10 years. During these two
weeks it dropped 95 percent of its leaves. The remaining leaves are
doing well and are showing no signs of falling off. I have a
humidifier warm mist aimed straight at it all day to emulate a more
tropical condition. I'm keeping the humidity around 80 percent for it.
And the metal halide light is on for 10 hours a day. I've seen no
new growth yet so im worried about it. I used to live in new york
city zone 7 i never let it get below 40. It would loose its leaves
and recover rapidly. I'm worried now that the branches although they
are not young were shocked by the 31 degree weather. There are flower
buds but they arn't swelling and i have seen no new signs of growth.
I'm thinking about drastically cutting back the branches.
Bourganvillea planted in the ground here is evergreen and flowers all
year. I think you should definitely mulch the pot. If i were you i
would bring it inside. I've done the same thing every year but i
thought out here it could stay out year round i was wrong. Before as
soon as temps hit 40 it would come inside loose 90 percent of its
leaves and recover but this time im not so sure.

The good news about the hard frost out here was that my european larch
changed color and browned its needles. I had been told this tree was
ungrowable in this climate. Also my cork bark elm is changing color
which i didn't expect to happen. Its a much more beautiful color
change then i ever saw in NY. I think you can take at least 2 zones
off ever zone you live in for a potted bonsai. So i would say your
more like zone 7. My recommendation is get it inside or into a
controlled greenhouse.

I'll post an update on the list if my bourgie sprouts back out from its
older branches. Or if it doesn't.

Anyway best of luck

Ben

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 12-12-2004, 04:34 PM
Kirby Johnson

what would be best to mulch with?

(sorry for the amateur questions)

Old 12-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Jim Lewis

On 12 Dec 2004 at 16:34, Kirby Johnson wrote:

what would be best to mulch with?

Pine bark.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 29-12-2004, 12:18 AM
Claud Spinks

Kirby Johnson wrote:
i live in texas, a few weeks ago when it started to get cooler i brought
both my Bougainvillea (a pixie and a larger variety) closer to the house
in my atrium. but now they are not doing good. they lost alot of leaves.
(i think my cats had a lot to do with that). i put them back in the
yard, but i know once leaves drop its not good. any advice to save my
trees? one was a gift and i would ahte to loose it.

thank you,

kirby

Mine drop about 80% of their leaves each year when the night temps get
below 40. I move them into the greenhouse when temps are forecast to dip
into the 20's. I live just south of atlanta.
Claud

Collected bougainvillea help KevinH Bonsai 21 07-02-2005 01:45 PM
[IBC] Collected bougainvillea help Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 4 05-02-2005 02:53 AM
[IBC] Big Bougainvillea - 3 Years of Development Luis Fontanills Bonsai 0 25-03-2003 01:44 PM
[IBC] Bougainvillea advice CLSC Bonsai 4 06-03-2003 03:39 PM
[IBC] Bougainvillea root pruning Neal Ross Bonsai 2 27-02-2003 03:53 AM