Old 17-12-2004, 12:04 AM
Larry

Thanks for all the suggestions. You bring up a good point regarding
blooming cycle that I had not thought of.

I am not familiar with heating cables as suggested by Wendy. Do I lay them
on the shelf trays? If not how are they used? Neither EFG or OFE seem to
have them on their web site. Do you have a URL for Charley's?

Also, the shelving is located in a screened-in porch. I am afraid a radiant
heater would not work well because all the heat would be lost through the
screens. How could I direct the heat from a radiant space heater into the
shelving?

Thanks again,
Larry

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Hi, Larry: Look for a "radiant" space heater [one that will not cause a
fire if tipped over]. We got ours at one of the big-box stores
[Brandsmart
or the like]. Or, there is a heating grid that will fit one of the small
propane tanks regularly used for gas grills -- but that needs to be braced
so that it cannot tip over.

55F is what we heat to for a mixed inventory of Catts, Dens, Oncids, Phals
and Vandas. The mature Catts and Oncids would easily tolerate cooler
temps
[some would appreciate them], but with one house, we have to heat for the
most sensitive.

Do also keep in mind that using lights for heat at night may disrupt the
blooming cycle for many of your plants.

Wendy: OFG? That's a new one to me; EFG is in Deland [not god-awful far
from Jax], and does handle some supplies, but I suspect you mean OFE in
Miami [a _long_ day's drive from Jax -- one-way]? If not, please clue me
in.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"wendy7" wrote in message
Hi Larry, Since it doesn't stay cold for long in your area, then
you might get by using heating cables. They come with a thermostat & you
could put them on a timer.
I think Charley's sells them & then you have OFG in your neck of
the woods.

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Larry wrote:
Hello. In the summer most of my orchids are outside in the
screened-in porch or hanging outside in trees. In the past I have
moved the plants indoors during the colder days. However, this year I
bought lighted shelving so they can be kept warmer outside. I also
purchased a vinyl tent that covers the whole unit.

Question: I live in Jacksonville, FL, and it does get cold at night
during the winters (for example, down to mid-upper 20s tonight/now).
But, I don't think the current lights are not keeping the plants warm
enough as it gets that cold. The shelving has 3 light fixtures (1 per
shelve), using two, 40-watt wide spectrum lamps per fixture (go to
http://www.indoorgardensupplies.com, click on flora-carts, combo
BA3-SE2 at the bottom).

Any suggestions on how to keep them warmer within the shelving unit I
already have? Different bulbs?

What is the minimum temperature I should aim for? I remember hearing
55 degrees at one point but am not sure if this is true. I have
several different orchid varieties.

Thanks in advance!

Larry
laf_at_lwpes_dot_org