Old 15-12-2004, 09:46 AM
Larry

Default keeping orchids warm

Hello. In the summer most of my orchids are outside in the screened-in porch
or hanging outside in trees. In the past I have moved the plants indoors
during the colder days. However, this year I bought lighted shelving so they
can be kept warmer outside. I also purchased a vinyl tent that covers the
whole unit.

Question: I live in Jacksonville, FL, and it does get cold at night during
the winters (for example, down to mid-upper 20s tonight/now). But, I don't
think the current lights are not keeping the plants warm enough as it gets
that cold. The shelving has 3 light fixtures (1 per shelve), using two,
40-watt wide spectrum lamps per fixture (go to
http://www.indoorgardensupplies.com, click on flora-carts, combo BA3-SE2 at
the bottom).

Any suggestions on how to keep them warmer within the shelving unit I
already have? Different bulbs?

What is the minimum temperature I should aim for? I remember hearing 55
degrees at one point but am not sure if this is true. I have several
different orchid varieties.

Thanks in advance!

Larry
laf_at_lwpes_dot_org

Old 15-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Ray

Larry,

You obviously need heat supplementation, much better insulation, or go back
to moving them indoors.

The minimum temperature should be based upon those plants needing the
highest minimum, but if you need a general figure to start with, 55° is a
good choice.

..

Old 15-12-2004, 08:17 PM
wendy7

Hi Larry, Since it doesn't stay cold for long in your area, then
you might get by using heating cables. They come with a thermostat & you
could put them on a timer.
I think Charley's sells them & then you have OFG in your neck of
the woods.

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 15-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Kenni Judd

Hi, Larry: Look for a "radiant" space heater [one that will not cause a
fire if tipped over]. We got ours at one of the big-box stores [Brandsmart
or the like]. Or, there is a heating grid that will fit one of the small
propane tanks regularly used for gas grills -- but that needs to be braced
so that it cannot tip over.

55F is what we heat to for a mixed inventory of Catts, Dens, Oncids, Phals
and Vandas. The mature Catts and Oncids would easily tolerate cooler temps
[some would appreciate them], but with one house, we have to heat for the
most sensitive.

Do also keep in mind that using lights for heat at night may disrupt the
blooming cycle for many of your plants.

Wendy: OFG? That's a new one to me; EFG is in Deland [not god-awful far
from Jax], and does handle some supplies, but I suspect you mean OFE in
Miami [a _long_ day's drive from Jax -- one-way]? If not, please clue me
in.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 17-12-2004, 12:04 AM
Larry

Thanks for all the suggestions. You bring up a good point regarding
blooming cycle that I had not thought of.

I am not familiar with heating cables as suggested by Wendy. Do I lay them
on the shelf trays? If not how are they used? Neither EFG or OFE seem to
have them on their web site. Do you have a URL for Charley's?

Also, the shelving is located in a screened-in porch. I am afraid a radiant
heater would not work well because all the heat would be lost through the
screens. How could I direct the heat from a radiant space heater into the
shelving?

Thanks again,
Larry

Old 17-12-2004, 03:09 AM
Ray

Unless you really want to spend a ___lot___ of money on heating, you're
going to need to enclose the space. Screen will not do.

..

Old 17-12-2004, 03:31 AM
wendy7

Wendy: OFG? That's a new one to me; EFG is in Deland [not god-awful far
from Jax], and does handle some supplies, but I suspect you mean OFE in
Miami [a long day's drive from Jax -- one-way]? If not, please clue me
in.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids
http://www.jborchids.com

Well I was pretty close? *g* You are correct Kenni, I meant OFE

Cheers Wendy

Old 17-12-2004, 03:35 AM
wendy7

http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/

Larry, the heating cables are a electric wire looking & run in a
circular fashion so I tied mine with wire to my bench.
Upon reading further you may want to construct some type of
protection cover that you can remove when the temps warm up.

Old 17-12-2004, 11:16 AM
dusty

"Larry" wrote in
:

[...]

Larry I think you should start hauling them inside. I did a quick dirty
calculation on what I think you have and to keep the temperature in your
tent at 60 F with an outside temp in the low 20's you will need a heater of
at least 1200 watts with a thermostat.

I'm using a vinyl tent sise of 4x2x6 which has a surface area of 96 sq ft
with a temperature differance of 38 you will need 3648 btu's to heat and
that comes out to be a little over 1000 watts. that is if my math is right.
My experiance with off the shelf heaters like department stores have is
erratic because they have crude thermostats.
If you insist on heating then don't use any heater that glowes red or one
that is a radiant heater. One is a fire hazard and both will heat and or
cook things just in front of it. A ceramic heater with a fan will work
better yet one that oscillates so that the heat isn't consentrated in one
place all the time. The other choice would be a liquid filled baseboard
heater.
Remember the thermostats on these units have a wide hystorisis, humm, dead
zone? hystorisis meaning the area between heater turn on and heater turn
off. your home thermostat is typically 3 degrees but on thes units it could
be as high as 20 degrees. meaning you set it at 60 and the heater will turn
on at 50 and turn off at 70.

Now that I said all this I still think you should start hauling them
inside.

Dusty

keeping orchids warm Larry Orchids 0 15-12-2004 09:46 AM
Warm Tolerant Cymbidiums [email protected] Orchids 6 27-03-2003 05:44 AM
Anyone use a space heater in home for warm growing orchids? Elpaninaro Orchids 8 10-03-2003 04:44 AM
When is it going to warm up? Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 3 12-02-2003 03:55 PM
When is it going to warm up Nedra Ponds 0 11-02-2003 05:55 PM