Old 17-12-2004, 03:42 PM
John McGaw

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:
- Vox Humana -

I once planted tulips on New Years Day. As long as the ground isn't

frozen,

you can plant them. They will be worthless if you don't, so you have
nothing to lose by planting them.

- Nehmo -
I'm in Kansas City, Kansas, and it's December 17 (ground not frozen
yet). I'd like to know if it's okay to plant them even if they've
already sprouted. Are they still good? Will the ones that have sprouted
die over the winter?

You certainly have nothing to lose by planting them. If you don't plant
them then you will have nothing to show for the investment unless you
are able to force them successfully indoors and I've never been able to
make it work with tulips for some reason. I'd plant them to the full
depth recommended and add a bit of loose mulch to the soil afterward.
I've gotten away with planting narcissus, crocus, buttercup, and
hyacinths in late December (in Knoxville, TN) and have had no more than
the expected losses.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]