Old 17-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Bill

dusty wrote:
(Drbob92031) wrote in
:

Thanks for all the help in the past. Here in South East Florida the
wind chill has gone into the low 30' s and the weather report

suggests
protecting susceptable plants. I have some Dens that have 3 to 4

foot
spikes with blooms on the ends How do I protect these from the

cold?
The outside temperature is in the low 40's and the wind is 10 to 15
mph. hence the low 30's wind chill .In the past when they needed
peotection, the Dens were much smaller, so I was able to wrap them

in
a sheet. Looked like they had diapers on. Oh yes, they are hanging
from trees in baskets so they are totally exposed. My orchids are
shivering. HELP!! Bob

Bob
plants arn't warm blooded and don't sweat so wind chill probably has

little
effect on them. My expectation is that they are the same temperature

as the
air. However I hear that there's some serious artic cold headed this

way
for the weekend.
BRRRRR! time to move to the tropics. Dusty

Hi, If you're going to leave them hanging in the trees, I'd cover them
as best you can (you will lose leaves on the type that drop leaves) but
the bare canes will rebloom anyway. Be sure to hydrate them very well
(water very well) My dens (1,000s) are exposed in all weather-- they
look bad when all foliage is gone but always produce new growth
w/foliage. Good Luck, Bill