Old 17-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Nehmo Sergheyev

- Nehmo -
I'm in Kansas City, Kansas, and it's December 17 (ground not frozen
yet). I'd like to know if it's okay to plant them even if they've
already sprouted. Are they still good? Will the ones that have

sprouted
die over the winter?

- John McGaw -
You certainly have nothing to lose by planting them. If you don't

plant
them then you will have nothing to show for the investment unless you
are able to force them successfully indoors and I've never been able

make it work with tulips for some reason.

- Nehmo -
The the other options are to exchange the bulbs or, as you said, to
attempt inside-the-house blooming.

- John McGaw -
I'd plant them to the full
depth recommended and add a bit of loose mulch to the soil afterward.
I've gotten away with planting narcissus, crocus, buttercup, and
hyacinths in late December (in Knoxville, TN) and have had no more

than
the expected losses.

- Nehmo -
Actually, I'm doing a non-gardening building contract for a customer,
and the customer added-on this little planting job. I hired (for a day)
a girl, Jacky, who had the experience of having had worked at a retail
nursery for years. Jacky was _very_ knowledgeable, and she recommended
planting the un-sprouted emperors, but she said the small tulips, which
had sprouted, should go inside. Knowing very little on the subject
myself, I deferred to her. Now, after reading on the subject, I'll get
her back and have her plant them despite her opinion.

However, I'm still not sure. Jacky could talk forever on the subject of
planting bulbs. I may have her talk directly with the customer and take
myself out of the decision loop.

--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *