Old 21-12-2004, 03:18 PM
joeenp

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:52:03 -0800, Wendy wrote:

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:24:37 GMT, joeenp wrote:

I have heard many confusing and conflicting arguments about the rest
period for some dens. i have some that look like canes that have
kiekes and some like kingianum and superbum. do they all require rest
periods ? if so ! when and how long and where? i might just as ask
WHY! this question should be interesting ! Ron

Just found this url Ron,
http://viviorchids.com/orcnr-64.html
I never realized that there were so many types.
As far as the 'why' the rest period is because they go dormant
& don't need the water. In their natural habitat there is no rain either.
I find resting mine is the hardest thing for me to do!
For me in zone 9/10 the rest period is from beginning of Nov. to the
end of Jan. but start water when I see signs of new growth.
Hope some experts chime in here for you.
--

Replace seven with 7, for email reply

Cheers Wendy

Thanks Wendy! i expected a lot of response . im a newbe at this
Orchids and newsgroup posting so this whole thing is a little
overwhelming. Ron