Old 21-12-2004, 05:03 PM
D Russell

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
In a recent edition of a trade magazine Peter Seabrook has spoken out

quite
strongly about TV gardeners and the poor advice they give at times. In
particular, he writes of one such suggesting that people plant tulips
bulb-to-bulb along a wall and then saying a while later that it's better

space them to avoid tulip fire! He wonders whether these people ever
actually trial the advice they give. His rather depressing comment is

that
the gap between real gardeners and garden presenting is now so great that

he
doubts it can ever be bridged - sad thought for new gardeners

particularly,
I think.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Interesting that it should be Mr Seabrook complaining, I seem to recall that
he and Geoff Hamilton really did not get on, mainly because PS has spoken
out against Organic methods and no-dig gardening. Stating quite
categorically that the chemical route is the only sensible route to take and
that gardeners use so little peat that we should not worry about depleting
natural resources. I get the impression that he, PS, is a bit of a died in
the wool old fashioned gardener. Don't get me wrong, I have a couple of his
books, and years ago read them avidly, it's just that I think he can be a
little out of touch sometimes. It's because of that, that he went downhill
somewhat in my estimation.

Of course having said all that I agree that the idea of planting tulips bulb
to bulb does seem rather silly. :-)

As for new gardeners, don't worry Sacha, as soon as they find urg they'll be
put on the straight and narrow.

Duncan