Old 22-12-2004, 04:15 AM
Treedweller

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 03:15:46 GMT, "Tex John"
wrote:

I can't understand why one would think an arborist would have the "needed"
insurance...

I have my own corporation, install doors and do other work, and know one
need not get worker's comp nor unemployment insurance without employees
since the owners don't qualify for them. In fact, the State asks you not to
even apply for such!

And arborists are more likely to be self employed than most....even
foresters...not that I truly care or want to start an arguement nor flame
the original poster...

John

What were you doing in left field, and why did you fling this in from
there? Nobody mentioned insurance till now.

A consulting arborist would not need any insurance except his own
health insurance, his auto and maybe theft, and possibly a modest
liability policy in case he trips over something while gazing into
your trees. I'd say it's quite likely anyone making a business out of
consulting would have all of these.

A company that does actually work on/to/in trees should have a
liability policy that specifies it applies to work in trees (and
probably the yard guys don't have it, FYI). Perhaps if there are
several employees, workman's comp comes into play, but if any
employees are present there should be some sort of insurance on them,
as well (the liability policy can include this if there are only a few
employees). Some have it, and some don't. You can find out by
asking.

Sorry to follow this tangent, but I'm, curious to hear how we got
here.