Old 04-12-2004, 04:14 PM
michelle

Default need unbiased arborist

We are looking for a skilled arborist that can diagnose tree problems
without an agenda to solicit business for fertilizing, etc. Can you
recommend someone in the Austin area?
Old 19-12-2004, 06:53 AM
Registered User

Location: Oregon

You might consider contacting a pro like a golf course superintendent or university campus landscape supervisor. Sometimes, they hire arborists, and they care about who they hire.

You could go to http://www.isa-arbor.com - click to enter, then on the menu select the option to find an arborist. Then enter your zip code to find a Certified Arborist.

If you don't want soliciting, tell them up front. And let them know you don't want free advice. That way you are paying just for consulting.

There are consulting arborists that just do consulting. Often, their niche is indicated.
__________________
M. D. Vaden of Oregon
Deus nobiscum, quis contra

www.imageevent.com/mdvaden/oregoncoast Oregon Coast Album
www.imageevent.com/mdvaden/treerepair Tree Care Album
www.imageevent.com/mdvaden/forestfloor Mushrooms / Pacific NW Album
www.imageevent.com/mdvaden/oregon Oregon Album

Old 20-12-2004, 03:15 AM
Tex John

I can't understand why one would think an arborist would have the "needed"
insurance...

I have my own corporation, install doors and do other work, and know one
need not get worker's comp nor unemployment insurance without employees
since the owners don't qualify for them. In fact, the State asks you not to
even apply for such!

And arborists are more likely to be self employed than most....even
foresters...not that I truly care or want to start an arguement nor flame
the original poster...

John

Old 22-12-2004, 04:15 AM
Treedweller

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 03:15:46 GMT, "Tex John"
wrote:

I can't understand why one would think an arborist would have the "needed"
insurance...

I have my own corporation, install doors and do other work, and know one
need not get worker's comp nor unemployment insurance without employees
since the owners don't qualify for them. In fact, the State asks you not to
even apply for such!

And arborists are more likely to be self employed than most....even
foresters...not that I truly care or want to start an arguement nor flame
the original poster...

John

What were you doing in left field, and why did you fling this in from
there? Nobody mentioned insurance till now.

A consulting arborist would not need any insurance except his own
health insurance, his auto and maybe theft, and possibly a modest
liability policy in case he trips over something while gazing into
your trees. I'd say it's quite likely anyone making a business out of
consulting would have all of these.

A company that does actually work on/to/in trees should have a
liability policy that specifies it applies to work in trees (and
probably the yard guys don't have it, FYI). Perhaps if there are
several employees, workman's comp comes into play, but if any
employees are present there should be some sort of insurance on them,
as well (the liability policy can include this if there are only a few
employees). Some have it, and some don't. You can find out by
asking.

Sorry to follow this tangent, but I'm, curious to hear how we got
here.

Old 22-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Tex John

Yes, I agree with you...and an arborist is not likely to have employees lest
he actually run or work for a tree timming/removal/etc. company. Most will
be d/b/a's working out of their house.

I brought that up as the original post requested a certified arborist
because they would have workers comp insurance...and I was hoping to
disabuse them of that notion and hopefully with them not feeling flamed :)

Merry Christmas, all!
John

Old 22-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Rusty Mase

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:56:53 GMT, "Tex John"
wrote:

I brought that up as the original post requested a certified arborist
because they would have workers comp insurance...and I was hoping to
disabuse them of that notion and hopefully with them not feeling flamed :)

That was in an earlier thread Victor started. The issue with Worker's
Compensation Insurance is that people you employ are "supposed" to
have it. If you employ a yard maintenance company to do your yard,
they should provide their employees with this insurance. Otherwise,
if an employee of theirs is injured on the job, who is going to cover
their medical costs? It may fall into your homeowners insurance
coverage but since it is an employee that is supposed to have worker's
related insurance, that coverage may not apply. If someone wants to
get nasty, you could be personally reliable for paying those medical
costs.

I believe the current rates for Worker's Comp insurance is $16 per
$100 net payroll for lawn maintenance workers. It is considerably
higher for arborists that actually climb trees as their risk of injury
on the job is greater than someone pushing a lawnmower. Using firms
to do things for you that provide Worker's Comp for their employees
will be more expensive but it exposes you to a lower level of risk.

That is why big companies demand all their contractors have Worker's
Comp. I carry it for myself just so I can get onto a client's
property to work. Because I have this coverage, I will not let anyone
work on my place that does not provide me with a copy of their
certificate of insurance. Otherwise, I am covering them under my
insurance.

If you hire the "Fly-by-Night Tree Company" and one of their uninsured
employees falls and breaks his back while working on your property,
not only will state agencies but even the federal Occupational Health
and Safety Administration is likely to come around asking questions.

Many people are pretty loose about this - but there can be serious
ramifications if anything goes wrong. There is another side - if you
hire someone to work for you - are you willing to make adequate
provisions for handling any injuries or lost wages due to injuries
they might sustain while under your employ?

Rusty Mase
Old 22-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Tex John

Well, to come round Robin Hood's barn, that's exactly what I meant -- they
need a company, like a tree trimming service, not an individual (as
arborists can often be) that doesn't have to have it and therefore often
won't.

It is the same hiring foresters in East Texas. Very few of the ones you
would actually hire out of a phone book are set up as companies with
employees and the insurance one would need for such. The ones working for
paper mills of course are covered...but foresters are just consultants --
they don't actually do any tree chopping and usually just refer your
business do someone who does.

Thanks for explaining that better than I did.

John

wrote:

I brought that up as the original post requested a certified arborist
because they would have workers comp insurance...and I was hoping to
disabuse them of that notion and hopefully with them not feeling flamed

:)

Old 22-12-2004, 11:58 PM
God Bless Texas

Rusty Mase wrote:

If you hire the "Fly-by-Night Tree Company" and one of their uninsured
employees falls and breaks his back while working on your property,
not only will state agencies but even the federal Occupational Health
and Safety Administration is likely to come around asking questions.

Brief aside - I hired an outfit staffed by Christian reformed alcoholics
to do some tree work a few years back - a big pecan limb had broken off
and was hanging down, needed cutting clear and the tree wound dressed.

When the guy on the ladder finished the cut, the limb fell and hit a
nest of bumble bees. He took about 20 hits before he could get down and
clear the area.

I cannot imagine what he felt like - his buddies were helping him, but
he was staggering and falling - could not have helped his efforts to
remain sober, at any rate.

Old 05-02-2005, 03:32 AM
Registered User

Location: Oregon

I'm not sure whether you or others would like our situation here in Oregon for a pattern to follow, or not.

About 9 out of 10 Certified Arborists here either own a licensed business or work for a licensed business.

All tree service businesses in Oregon are licensed with either the Construction Contractors Board or the Landscape Contractors Board and are required by law to carry bond, insurance and workers compensation insurance.

Only a few Certified Arborists are in a different employ - like university campus horticulture superintendents or the head of the Oregon Garden public botanical garden.

So, here, basically every arborist that is likely to be hired is under a license. Likewise with all landscape contractors.

It works out very well. This spring, it is expected that all arborists will be under the landscape contractors board, compiling the entire green industry under on umbrella so they can communicate more freely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex John

Old 05-02-2005, 03:32 AM
mdvaden

Tex John Wrote:
I can't understand why one would think an arborist would have the
"needed"
insurance...

I have my own corporation, install doors and do other work, and know
one
need not get worker's comp nor unemployment insurance without
employees
since the owners don't qualify for them. In fact, the State asks you
not to
even apply for such!

And arborists are more likely to be self employed than most....even
foresters...not that I truly care or want to start an arguement nor
flame
the original poster...

John

"mdvaden" wrote in message
...-

[...]

Need arborist bid for tree removals Victor Martinez Texas 2 03-12-2004 03:58 PM
Need arborist rec gribbee Texas 9 10-03-2004 04:15 AM
Need arborist rec gribbee Texas 0 01-03-2004 07:12 PM
Need arborist rec gribbee Texas 0 01-03-2004 06:57 PM
Need arborist rec gribbee Texas 0 01-03-2004 06:35 PM