Old 22-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Rusty Mase

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:56:53 GMT, "Tex John"
wrote:

I brought that up as the original post requested a certified arborist
because they would have workers comp insurance...and I was hoping to
disabuse them of that notion and hopefully with them not feeling flamed :)

That was in an earlier thread Victor started. The issue with Worker's
Compensation Insurance is that people you employ are "supposed" to
have it. If you employ a yard maintenance company to do your yard,
they should provide their employees with this insurance. Otherwise,
if an employee of theirs is injured on the job, who is going to cover
their medical costs? It may fall into your homeowners insurance
coverage but since it is an employee that is supposed to have worker's
related insurance, that coverage may not apply. If someone wants to
get nasty, you could be personally reliable for paying those medical
costs.

I believe the current rates for Worker's Comp insurance is $16 per
$100 net payroll for lawn maintenance workers. It is considerably
higher for arborists that actually climb trees as their risk of injury
on the job is greater than someone pushing a lawnmower. Using firms
to do things for you that provide Worker's Comp for their employees
will be more expensive but it exposes you to a lower level of risk.

That is why big companies demand all their contractors have Worker's
Comp. I carry it for myself just so I can get onto a client's
property to work. Because I have this coverage, I will not let anyone
work on my place that does not provide me with a copy of their
certificate of insurance. Otherwise, I am covering them under my
insurance.

If you hire the "Fly-by-Night Tree Company" and one of their uninsured
employees falls and breaks his back while working on your property,
not only will state agencies but even the federal Occupational Health
and Safety Administration is likely to come around asking questions.

Many people are pretty loose about this - but there can be serious
ramifications if anything goes wrong. There is another side - if you
hire someone to work for you - are you willing to make adequate
provisions for handling any injuries or lost wages due to injuries
they might sustain while under your employ?

Rusty Mase