Old 23-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:38:18 -0500, "Ray"
wrote:

Bob,

I suggest against repotting a plant that is sending up inflorescences or in
bud- or bloom, unless the potting medium is SO sour that you are risking
rotting the roots.

In my opinion, the best time is after blooming has ended, when the plant is
putting on a new growth spurt.

If the mix is spongy the roots are at risk. First - I would cut
off the keiki's and pot them individually. This will reduce the
drag on MOM. Cut the old inflorescence as close to Mom as
possible. Then try to take the keiki off the inflorescence with
a quick twist motion. IF they don't come off cut the
inflorescence as close to each as possible. Pot as for a full
grown plant.

Now Mom. IF you think she is growing ok in the mix and it does
not smell, take a good whiff. Then maybe on her own she can put
out this bloom without risk. You now have two exact clones of
her, in case something goes wrong. You will have to decide if it
is worth the risk of losing a few flowers (maybe) or losing Mom
(maybe). If you have a chance to even lift her out of the pot
and check the roots. Are they healthy or spongy with rot?

If the bottom roots from Mom's pot are still firm. The throw a
handful of dry mix in the bottom of the pot and put her back in.
with as little disturbance as possible. If the roots at the
bottom are soft and rotted. Repot. Hope for the best and maybe
she will pay back your boost with a beautiful display rather than
blasting.
SuE