Old 25-12-2004, 03:36 AM
Katra

In article ,
Steve Ravet wrote:

Rusty Mase wrote:

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 00:07:44 GMT, Steve Ravet
wrote:

Several stacks of chopped and split firewood came with my house.
There's quite a bit of this:

Steve, I will guess Cedar Elm. Is the wood rather light weight - not
as heavy as live oak? If so it will burn fine but not as good a fire
wood as any of the oaks. Also, it can have an "off odor" to the
smoke.

It's lighter than oak, but it's still pretty dense. Burns OK, with lots
of sparks. Splits really well. Haven't noticed any odor while
burning. I tried to find some Cedar Elm pictures, it looks like it has
a fairly thin peeling bark, is that right? This wood has thick bark,
3/4", and very figured. Neither the figuring nor the thickness came out
very well in the picture. It has lots of damage from some kind of
boring insect, probably why it's firewood now.

If it is well seasoned, as it seems to be, it will burn fine. The
heat content is lots lower than oak, though. As cold as it is I would
not be real picky.

I'm actually interested in the color and grain, I was wondering if it's
used for woodworking.

Thanks Rusty,

--steve

A picture of the cross-cut would help. ;-)

Might also be hackberry, or pecan.
Those are also common woods around here.

How fine is the grain?
--
K.