Old 25-12-2004, 12:07 AM
Steve Ravet

Default what kind of wood is this?

Several stacks of chopped and split firewood came with my house.
There's quite a bit of this:

ftp://diy-efi.org/uploads/sgr/log1.jpg
ftp://diy-efi.org/uploads/sgr/log2.jpg

It has thick heavy bark and a reddish color when split. Can someone
tell me what kind of wood it is?

thanks,
--steve
Old 25-12-2004, 02:45 AM
Rusty Mase

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 00:07:44 GMT, Steve Ravet
wrote:

Several stacks of chopped and split firewood came with my house.
There's quite a bit of this:

Steve, I will guess Cedar Elm. Is the wood rather light weight - not
as heavy as live oak? If so it will burn fine but not as good a fire
wood as any of the oaks. Also, it can have an "off odor" to the
smoke.

If it is well seasoned, as it seems to be, it will burn fine. The
heat content is lots lower than oak, though. As cold as it is I would
not be real picky.

Rusty Mase
Old 25-12-2004, 03:29 AM
Steve Ravet

wrote:

Several stacks of chopped and split firewood came with my house.
There's quite a bit of this:

Steve, I will guess Cedar Elm. Is the wood rather light weight - not
as heavy as live oak? If so it will burn fine but not as good a fire
wood as any of the oaks. Also, it can have an "off odor" to the
smoke.

It's lighter than oak, but it's still pretty dense. Burns OK, with lots
of sparks. Splits really well. Haven't noticed any odor while
burning. I tried to find some Cedar Elm pictures, it looks like it has
a fairly thin peeling bark, is that right? This wood has thick bark,
3/4", and very figured. Neither the figuring nor the thickness came out
very well in the picture. It has lots of damage from some kind of
boring insect, probably why it's firewood now.

If it is well seasoned, as it seems to be, it will burn fine. The
heat content is lots lower than oak, though. As cold as it is I would
not be real picky.

I'm actually interested in the color and grain, I was wondering if it's
used for woodworking.

Thanks Rusty,

--steve
Old 25-12-2004, 03:36 AM
Katra

wrote:

[...]

A picture of the cross-cut would help. ;-)

Might also be hackberry, or pecan.
Those are also common woods around here.

How fine is the grain?
--
K.
Old 25-12-2004, 04:03 AM
Steve Ravet

Katra wrote:

A picture of the cross-cut would help. ;-)

OK:

ftp://diy-efi.org/uploads/sgr/log3.jpg

Might also be hackberry, or pecan.
Those are also common woods around here.

How fine is the grain?

I found a good description of Cedar Elm he

http://www.elmcare.com/about_elms/id...fying_bark.htm

That seems like it after all.

--steve

Old 25-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Katra

In article ,
Steve Ravet wrote:

Katra wrote:

A picture of the cross-cut would help. ;-)

OK:

ftp://diy-efi.org/uploads/sgr/log3.jpg

Might also be hackberry, or pecan.
Those are also common woods around here.

How fine is the grain?

I found a good description of Cedar Elm he

http://www.elmcare.com/about_elms/id...fying_bark.htm

That seems like it after all.

--steve

Fairly fine grain... but you were not kidding about the bug damage! :-)

I agree with the ID based on that website.
--
K.
Old 26-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Treedweller

wrote:

Several stacks of chopped and split firewood came with my house.
There's quite a bit of this:

ftp://diy-efi.org/uploads/sgr/log1.jpg
ftp://diy-efi.org/uploads/sgr/log2.jpg

It has thick heavy bark and a reddish color when split. Can someone
tell me what kind of wood it is?

thanks,
--steve

It looks more like mesquite to me. I have a lot of it that I
collected because it is a prized barbecue wood, but never found any
takers (don't do much bbq tofu here). Once I carved and polished it,
I regretted cutting it up so much before seasoning it and letting it
go so far south before dragging it out of the pile. Nice, fat sticks
would split ot and make nice hand carvings, but nothing larger is
salvageable as far as I can tell, and most of it is completely rotten.

kj