Old 27-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Kitsune Miko

What would we do without you?!!?!

Kits
--- Nina wrote:

Remember I was asking about brown patches on
buttonwood leaves? Well,
I asked the owner of the bonsai to send me some
leaves, because the
symptoms did not sound like rust or any of the other
things the guy's
friends were telling him, and he was needlessly
spraying the plant with
fungicides.

I got the leaves today and looked at them: they were
covered with
minute mites (that is, really *small* mites, even
for mites). Not only
that, the mites had four legs pointing forward and
four pointing
backward, which to me (not an entomologist) spells
eriophyid mite. And
eriophyid mites cause warty rusty patches on leaves
of many hosts (I
had a button*bush* (genus cephalanthus)that had red
patches on it for
years caused by an eriophyid mite). So I did a
Google search of
"Conocarpus eriophyid" and got the following:

"ORNAMENTALS, WOODY PLANTS AND PALMS:
Conocarpus erectus var. sericeus (silver buttonwood,
a native
species)-- Aceria sp., an eriophyid mite: A moderate
to severe
infestation was found at a restored wetland in
Pembroke Pines (Broward
County; E2001-4181; Maria S. Quintanilla and Dr.
W.C. 'Cal' Welbourn;
10 October 2001). This probably is a new species. It
is likely to be
responsible for the recent leaf distortion damage
observed on
buttonwood trees in South Florida. Pruning will
temporarily eliminate
the damage because most of the mites are in the
growing tips; however,
in time, populations rebuild and damage re-appears
(Dr. W.C. 'Cal'
Welbourn)."

So that's what I'm sayin'. I'm going to have to
tell him to talk to
Florida Cooperative Extension on what miticide to
use.

Nina.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Boon
Manakitivipart++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott