Old 27-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Nina

Default Buttonwood answer

Remember I was asking about brown patches on buttonwood leaves? Well,
I asked the owner of the bonsai to send me some leaves, because the
symptoms did not sound like rust or any of the other things the guy's
friends were telling him, and he was needlessly spraying the plant with
fungicides.

I got the leaves today and looked at them: they were covered with
minute mites (that is, really *small* mites, even for mites). Not only
that, the mites had four legs pointing forward and four pointing
backward, which to me (not an entomologist) spells eriophyid mite. And
eriophyid mites cause warty rusty patches on leaves of many hosts (I
had a button*bush* (genus cephalanthus)that had red patches on it for
years caused by an eriophyid mite). So I did a Google search of
"Conocarpus eriophyid" and got the following:

"ORNAMENTALS, WOODY PLANTS AND PALMS:
Conocarpus erectus var. sericeus (silver buttonwood, a native
species)-- Aceria sp., an eriophyid mite: A moderate to severe
infestation was found at a restored wetland in Pembroke Pines (Broward
County; E2001-4181; Maria S. Quintanilla and Dr. W.C. 'Cal' Welbourn;
10 October 2001). This probably is a new species. It is likely to be
responsible for the recent leaf distortion damage observed on
buttonwood trees in South Florida. Pruning will temporarily eliminate
the damage because most of the mites are in the growing tips; however,
in time, populations rebuild and damage re-appears (Dr. W.C. 'Cal'
Welbourn)."

So that's what I'm sayin'. I'm going to have to tell him to talk to
Florida Cooperative Extension on what miticide to use.

Nina.

Old 27-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Kitsune Miko

What would we do without you?!!?!

Kits
--- Nina wrote:

[...]

++++Sponsored, in part, by Boon
Manakitivipart++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 27-12-2004, 06:29 PM
Alan Walker

Is Kelthane safe for buttonwood? Since buttonwood isn't a common
nursery plant, it won't be listed on any of the standard label
information.

Alan Walker

Old 27-12-2004, 07:34 PM
James T Harwood

At 12:28 PM 12/27/2004, Alan Walker wrote:
Is Kelthane safe for buttonwood? Since buttonwood isn't a common
nursery plant, it won't be listed on any of the standard label
information.

I should have responded to this one initially, but I understood from the
post that the spots were on the top of the buttonwood leaves. I'll bet
that the "rust" is on the bottom.

I have not used Kelthane on buttonwood, but it is labeled as a specific
mitricide and I have used Pantac, Avid and Mavrick (which are mitricides
also) on buttonwood with no ill effects and that is what I use when the
tiny mites get on my plants. Here in Arkansas the mites do little damage,
they much prefer my Ficus salisifolia, so I seldom need to spray.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-12-2004, 02:37 PM
Nina

I've been studying up on mites, and I now think the mite might be the
southern red leaf mite, although it isn't recorded on buttonwood. It
is an "exceptionally destructive" pest of holly and azalea, introduced
into the US in 1917 and now found on the East coast and California. It
has been found on clethra, cleyera, elaeagnus, eucalyptus, eugenia,
grevillea, hibiscus, juniper, kalmia, oxalis, photinia, pyracantha,
rose, and viburnum. It causes bronze spots on leaves and eventually
death of the leaf and in severe cases, death of the whole plant.

Web sites recommend use of "appropriate miticides" (yeah, thanks!) and
use of dormant oil in winter. Dormant oil would be good, but of course
any plant should be tested for phytotoxicity before treatment, and the
oil shouldn't be used in warm weather.

So if your plant has distorted leaves and raised scabby patches or
flecking, get out a hand lens and look on the underside of the leaf for
mites. You'll probably have better luck seeing the cast-off white
exoskeletons than the mites themselves. Spider mites produce webs, but
lots of mites don't.

Nina.

Old 28-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Marty Haber

Spider mite, spider mite,
Plump and red,
Almost microscopic -
Get out of my bed!

Old 28-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Marty Haber

Spider mite, spider mite,
Plump and red,
Almost microscopic -
Get out of my bed!

Old 28-12-2004, 03:48 PM
Bart Thomas

Now, That's Per Verse!

Old 28-12-2004, 03:48 PM
Bart Thomas

Now, That's Per Verse!

Old 28-12-2004, 04:09 PM
Kitsune Miko

I had an rohodie impeditum for years. One year when
it ws blooming and I needed money, I sold it. It was
beautiful. I was told it had spider mites and
succumed as well as other plants in her gardern. Is
it possible the plant prexisted with mites, but
maintained its health in my garden, but was stressed
in hers? Can you use oil on conifers/evergreens?

Kits

Old 28-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Kitsune Miko

There was a bonsaist called Wainright
He attempted to tangle with a spider mite
Tried something new fangled
Got seriously entangled
And ended by putting out his own light

Copyright 12-28-04 by the
Poetess Krystal Knobbs
A Kitsune Production

--- Bart Thomas wrote:

Now, That's Per Verse!

Old 28-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Nina

Stressed plants are more suceptible to mites, but this doesn't explain
why her garden plants succumbed as well as your rhodie, unless the
woman was the world's worst gardener. I can think of one brilliant
hypothesis, however: There are some broad-spectrum insecticides that
wipe out mite's natural enemies and lead to massive outbreaks of mites
a few week's after application. Sometimes the label of the insecticide
will mention this side-effect. I don't need to spell out the moral, do
I? Oh, yes, I probably do. If you have an insect problem, identify
the insect and use the appropriate pesticide. Don't nuke your yard.

This (http://www.ag.uiuc.edu/cespubs/hyg/html/200119b.html) looks like
a good discussion of dormant oils. I couldn't find anything that says
you can't use it on rhododendrons.

Old 28-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Nina

Kitsune Miko wrote:
I had an rohodie impeditum for years. One year when
it ws blooming and I needed money, I sold it. It was
beautiful. I was told it had spider mites and
succumed as well as other plants in her gardern. Is
it possible the plant prexisted with mites, but
maintained its health in my garden, but was stressed
in hers? Can you use oil on conifers/evergreens?

Kits

[IBC] Buttonwood [email protected] Bonsai 15 25-07-2005 01:09 PM
[IBC] Buttonwood answer Ed Trout Bonsai 0 27-12-2004 06:49 PM
Buttonwood answer Nina Bonsai 0 27-12-2004 04:03 PM
[IBC] Buttonwood Question Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 26-05-2003 01:57 PM
Buttonwood P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:22 PM