Old 23-12-2004, 02:52 AM
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

In article 9853573219172592.NC-
, lid
says...
il Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:33:26 -0800,
(Glenna Rose) ha
scritto:

After all the discussion regarding measurements, there doesn't seem to be
an answer given. As there were half a dozen sweet peppers in my garden
with the same issue, I was hoping someone would answer.

The only way to really know is to let a slug grow. I had larvae
wandering around my ceiling and into my dry food. It was by looking
at the parents that I realised I couldn't be so tolerant of moths
coming in at night. (That and using jars rather than packets).

Sounds like you are talking more about some kind of
caterpillars?

The thing I found inside the capsicum did *not* look
like a caterpillar. I am 95% sure that it was a slug
or something related. It seemed to already be dead, so
hard to tell details like antennae.

So what flies around your garden?

In addition to the bees, I have a few miscellaneous
flies, a couple of small swarms of gnat-looking things
(gone now, probably due to the weather), and a fair
number of those white butterfly-type things. Those
might technically be moths.

I've seen small slugs in sweet
peppers, I suspect they get in at the flower stage, but I just wash
then out if there's little damage.

I had an actual holes in the capsicum itself (one in
each affected fruit.)

I seem to recall an idea that slugs and snails refuse
to cross a copper wire(?) So perhaps I should get some
copper wire, and make a loose spiral around the base of
each capsicum plant(?)

And maybe "Slug-go" in a circle around the inside edge
of each container?

if you're in Aussie then your bugs are different to ours (nz) and
the horrifically numerous critters in the americas.

I am in NZ (Wellington.)

My Yates books talks of protecting from "slugs and
snails and caterpillars"

Yes. Last season was my first for gardening. Aside
from this capsicum problem, my only other pests were
Cabbage Loopers. I am expecting them to arrive again,
and will try Spinosad (Yates brand "Success") as soon
as I see the first one.

I have some slugs and snails around, but I'm not
getting overrun or anything. I try to gently pick them
up and re-locate them. I don't like killing things, so
I am more concerned with repulsing them.

Thanks for your comments!

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/