Old 16-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

Default Capsicum (Green Bell Pepper) Boring Pest

Hi Everybody,

Last autumn, I had a problem with my capsicums (green
bell peppers.)

In some, there was a small hole, perhaps half-
centimetre or so diameter. Seeming to lead to
shrivelling at a small fruit size.

Cutting one open revealed something that looked rather
like a slug. It was already dead at that point. It
was larger than the hole, so I figure that it bored in,
and then grew for awhile inside.

This happened on at least half of the capsicums.

Was that really a slug? And, thus, would regular anti-
slug measures ("Slug-go," etc) prevent this? Or was it
something else?

Thanks...

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old 17-12-2004, 09:49 AM
Auntie Em

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:15:43 -0800, Antipodean Bucket Farmer
wrote:

Hi Everybody,

Last autumn, I had a problem with my capsicums (green
bell peppers.)

In some, there was a small hole, perhaps half-
centimetre or so diameter. Seeming to lead to
shrivelling at a small fruit size.

being an American I am not too good with metrics, but wouldn't have a
centimetre be 50 milimeters? (or millimetres).

Em
Be careful what you wish for....
Old 18-12-2004, 02:06 AM
Jeffrey Turner

wrote:

Hi Everybody,

Last autumn, I had a problem with my capsicums (green
bell peppers.)

In some, there was a small hole, perhaps half-
centimetre or so diameter. Seeming to lead to
shrivelling at a small fruit size.

being an American I am not too good with metrics, but wouldn't have a
centimetre be 50 milimeters? (or millimetres).

Half a centimeter is 5 millimeters, or a bit under a quarter inch.

--Jeff

--
Long ago, there was a noble word,
LIBERAL, which derived from the
word FREE [libre]. Now a strange
thing happened to that word. A
man named Hitler made it a term of
abuse, a matter of suspicion,
because those who were not with him
were against him, and liberals had
no use for Hitler. And then another
man named McCarthy cast the same
opprobrium on the word. Indeed,
there was a time - a short but
dismaying time - when many Americans
began to distrust the word which
derived from FREE. One thing we
must all do. We must cherish and
honor the word FREE or it will
cease to apply to us...
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Should any political party attempt
to abolish social security,
unemployment insurance or eliminate
labor laws and farm programs, you
would not hear of that party again.
....There is a tiny splinter group,
of course, that believes you can do
these things. Among them are H.L.
Hunt...a few other Texas oil
millionaires, and an occasional
politician or businessman from
other areas. Their number is
negligible and they are stupid.
--Dwight Eisenhower

Old 18-12-2004, 08:12 AM
Loki

wrote:

Hi Everybody,

Last autumn, I had a problem with my capsicums (green
bell peppers.)

being an American I am not too good with metrics, but wouldn't have a
centimetre be 50 milimeters? (or millimetres).

Em

nah, too many. 100 centimetres (cm) in a metre (m) a 1000 millimetres
(mm) in a metre. so that makes ... ummm... er... drags out ruler to
see 5 mm! a tad smaller than 50. Did you know builders don't use
cm's? They just go from mm to m .
--
Cheers,

Old 23-12-2004, 02:52 AM
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

In article 9853573219172592.NC-
, lid
says...
il Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:33:26 -0800,
(Glenna Rose) ha
scritto:

After all the discussion regarding measurements, there doesn't seem to be
an answer given. As there were half a dozen sweet peppers in my garden
with the same issue, I was hoping someone would answer.

The only way to really know is to let a slug grow. I had larvae
wandering around my ceiling and into my dry food. It was by looking
at the parents that I realised I couldn't be so tolerant of moths
coming in at night. (That and using jars rather than packets).

Sounds like you are talking more about some kind of
caterpillars?

The thing I found inside the capsicum did *not* look
like a caterpillar. I am 95% sure that it was a slug
or something related. It seemed to already be dead, so
hard to tell details like antennae.

So what flies around your garden?

In addition to the bees, I have a few miscellaneous
flies, a couple of small swarms of gnat-looking things
(gone now, probably due to the weather), and a fair
number of those white butterfly-type things. Those
might technically be moths.

I've seen small slugs in sweet
peppers, I suspect they get in at the flower stage, but I just wash
then out if there's little damage.

I had an actual holes in the capsicum itself (one in
each affected fruit.)

I seem to recall an idea that slugs and snails refuse
to cross a copper wire(?) So perhaps I should get some
copper wire, and make a loose spiral around the base of
each capsicum plant(?)

And maybe "Slug-go" in a circle around the inside edge
of each container?

if you're in Aussie then your bugs are different to ours (nz) and
the horrifically numerous critters in the americas.

I am in NZ (Wellington.)

My Yates books talks of protecting from "slugs and
snails and caterpillars"

Yes. Last season was my first for gardening. Aside
from this capsicum problem, my only other pests were
Cabbage Loopers. I am expecting them to arrive again,
and will try Spinosad (Yates brand "Success") as soon
as I see the first one.

I have some slugs and snails around, but I'm not
getting overrun or anything. I try to gently pick them
up and re-locate them. I don't like killing things, so
I am more concerned with repulsing them.

Thanks for your comments!

Old 23-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Loki

il Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:52:02 -0800, Antipodean Bucket Farmer ha

scritto:

The only way to really know is to let a slug grow. I had larvae
wandering around my ceiling and into my dry food. It was by looking
at the parents that I realised I couldn't be so tolerant of moths
coming in at night. (That and using jars rather than packets).

Sounds like you are talking more about some kind of
caterpillars?

Mine looked like larvae, The moth is a small non descript one, but
common as muck. Caterpillars have legs, don't they? These were pale
with a black mouth and tiny. I used to let them live when they came
in but after I had all this wildlife crawling around the kitchen, I
thought I'd have to be more particular.

The thing I found inside the capsicum did *not* look
like a caterpillar. I am 95% sure that it was a slug
or something related. It seemed to already be dead, so
hard to tell details like antennae.

Slug it is then.

So what flies around your garden?

In addition to the bees, I have a few miscellaneous
flies, a couple of small swarms of gnat-looking things
(gone now, probably due to the weather), and a fair
number of those white butterfly-type things. Those
might technically be moths.

Those whitefly have a small green caterpillar. Although the ones on
dahlias tend to go pink or yellow to match the flower - or is it
their diet...

Ok my list of bugs has: codling moth, bronze beetle, weevils (they
like roses) as some that may fit the bill. Do the ones that eat
tomatoes also eat peppers.

You'll have to go out with a torch in the wee hours of the night to
see what is crawling over everything.

I had an actual holes in the capsicum itself (one in
each affected fruit.)

I suspect the slugs are branching out in their diet.

I seem to recall an idea that slugs and snails refuse
to cross a copper wire(?) So perhaps I should get some
copper wire, and make a loose spiral around the base of
each capsicum plant(?)

Crushed eggshells or gritty sand is what I heard.

And maybe "Slug-go" in a circle around the inside edge
of each container?

yep, if you find slugs out on a wet day, they may be your culprit.

if you're in Aussie then your bugs are different to ours (nz) and
the horrifically numerous critters in the americas.

I am in NZ (Wellington.)

LOL a neighbour. Probably a bug blown over in the wind from Aussie.
I'm in Hastings

My Yates books talks of protecting from "slugs and
snails and caterpillars"

Yes. Last season was my first for gardening. Aside
from this capsicum problem, my only other pests were
Cabbage Loopers. I am expecting them to arrive again,
and will try Spinosad (Yates brand "Success") as soon
as I see the first one.

So far this has been a rotten spring for hot weather plants! But some
of my peppers are doing nicely under cover. I thought they were
jalapeno but seem to be a variety of the yellow banana one I
collected seeds off some years ago. Maybe they crossbred, or more
likely I mislabelled the seeds.

I have some slugs and snails around, but I'm not
getting overrun or anything. I try to gently pick them
up and re-locate them. I don't like killing things, so
I am more concerned with repulsing them.

I toss them out for the birds to find.

Thanks for your comments!

No probs.

--
Cheers,

Old 29-12-2004, 12:58 AM
Loki

I found this about pests in capsicums.

"The most common cause of holes is heliothis attack, but eggfruit
caterpillar and potato tuber moth can also cause them.
Low temperatures at time of setting can cause splitting in the end of
the fruit."

No idea what heliothis is. The info comes from Queensland
--
Cheers,