Old 28-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Derek Broughton

lee wrote:

Would the heron not eat or take the fish away.?
C.

"Jim Humphries" wrote in message
And you have to consider herons as the most likely if there is little
mess
in the pond! They come early in the morning at first light. Try netting
the pond to see if that stops it.
--
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC
"lee" wrote in message
Any one any idea what is killing my gold fish in an outdoor pond.
The fish are being killed and left on the side of the pond. I have seen
otters in a stream 20metres from the pond. There are no visible signs of
otters entering the pond. I know there are wild mink in the area- could
they be killing the fish.?

I would tend to agree. A Heron will drop the odd fish, but if you're
finding them often, that sounds more like a mink. They're widely reputed
to kill things they don't intend to eat - I don't know how much truth there
is to the rumor though.

otters. Mine are back, and now there's three! For two winters we've
seen a pair of otters on the lagoon in front of our property. They fish
for eels off the edge of the ice. One of the neighbors thought they'd seen
one of them dead on the road, this spring. If so, not before they
reproduced, because yesterday, in the middle of our worst storm so far this
winter, they were out frolicking in the slush that was collecting up
against our shore.
--
derek