Old 27-12-2004, 12:37 PM
lee

Default mink?

Any one any idea what is killing my gold fish in an outdoor pond.
The fish are being killed and left on the side of the pond. I have seen
otters in a stream 20metres from the pond. There are no visible signs of
otters entering the pond. I know there are wild mink in the area- could they
be killing the fish.?
C.

Old 27-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Jim Humphries

And you have to consider herons as the most likely if there is little mess
in the pond! They come early in the morning at first light. Try netting
the pond to see if that stops it.
--
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC

Old 27-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Ka30P

If mink are prevalent enough in the area for you to know they are there then
I'd say they might be who has been in your pond.

Mink are excellent swimmers and fish is part of their diet. As a whole they
like to stick close to water so will be found closer to streams, lakes,
wetlands and ponds.

Do you see bite marks on the fish left by the side of the pond?

Reason I ask is I have a clumsy kingfisher who visits my pond from time to
time. He will take out a fish, fly to a tree and then loose hold of the fish,
dropping it on the ground, where the poor fish stays until I find it.

Critter deterrents you can try if you'd like a
netting the pond
electric barrier fencing
motion detection sprinklers (depending
on how cold your winter is)

kathy

Old 27-12-2004, 10:01 PM
RichToyBox

Do a google on mink in rec.ponds. I found about 39 threads show up, and I
remember Greg Young losing all of his fish to mink.
--
RichToyBox

Old 28-12-2004, 06:59 AM
Birgitte

Hi Lee
yes that could be mink, I tryed losing fish to the mink and what you
describe sure sounds like it could be mink.
As Kathy worte , try netting your pond ,and then I would try getting a
mink trap, the kind they use on minkfarms.
Look in your area to see if there is a minkfarmer he might be a sweety an
lend you a trap or tell you where to buy it .
At the time I lost fish I only had goldfish in my pond , but lost 3 big ones
, 25 cm.
Me and the dogs got the mink in the middel of the night, and my doggies
killede it, good girls .
Since then we alway had trap placed inthe garden, and taken several mink
since.
unfortunaly my homepage is in danish , but last year we took about 25 mink,
this year we only taken a few .
Unfortunatly the mink is draw to the warter , and they love to play in the
warter, so if you have lot of mink in the area , it's likely to happen
again.

--
Birgitte
www.ninaweb.dk/havedam

Old 28-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Derek Broughton

"lee" wrote in message
Any one any idea what is killing my gold fish in an outdoor pond.
The fish are being killed and left on the side of the pond. I have seen
otters in a stream 20metres from the pond. There are no visible signs of
otters entering the pond. I know there are wild mink in the area- could
they be killing the fish.?

I would tend to agree. A Heron will drop the odd fish, but if you're
finding them often, that sounds more like a mink. They're widely reputed
to kill things they don't intend to eat - I don't know how much truth there
is to the rumor though.

otters. Mine are back, and now there's three! For two winters we've
seen a pair of otters on the lagoon in front of our property. They fish
for eels off the edge of the ice. One of the neighbors thought they'd seen
one of them dead on the road, this spring. If so, not before they
reproduced, because yesterday, in the middle of our worst storm so far this
winter, they were out frolicking in the slush that was collecting up
against our shore.
--
derek
Old 28-12-2004, 11:02 PM
Crashj

On or about Tue, 28 Dec 2004 07:59:57 +0100, "Birgitte"
wrote something like:

Hi Lee
yes that could be mink, I tryed losing fish to the mink and what you
describe sure sounds like it could be mink.

unfortunaly my homepage is in danish , but last year we took about 25 mink,

Gosh, we hope you got a coat out of all that trouble?
--
Crashj
Old 29-12-2004, 02:32 AM
Birgitte

"Crashj" skrev i en meddelelse
Gosh, we hope you got a coat out of all that trouble?
--
Crashj

Nope no coat for me, the mink arn't worth much , when my doggies been
around,.and most of the mink are taken in the timeof year when the mink have
summer fur .not much worth anyway.
If you want furcoat , you need to cach the mink in november and december .
Me nd the doggies cach them when they are to close to my pond. and don't
worry about coat .
--
Birgitte
www.ninaweb.dk/havedam

Old 29-12-2004, 07:08 AM
Birgitte

"Ann in Houston"

Hi Birgitte,
Nice to have you drop in to rec.ponds. Thanks for making the effort to
write to us in English.

Thanks Ann

You read or write Dutch do you?

If you can a bit of english and germen and danish, it will bee possible to
read quiet a lot of duch, but not all.

A poster was asking
for help with her page a little while back, and I think it was in Dutch.

I saw Annette asking for help , she is danish :-) , taalk to her on skype
moste days.

I never knew whether anyone helped her or not. I tried, but I don't know
if
it was much help.

I know she got a lot of help in here :-)

awfull big job to translate a hole homepage , prolly why I only written one
page so far, he he. I am not all that great whit the grammer , but who cares
, as long as people get the mening :-)

regards
Birgitte
http://www.ninaweb.dk/havedam/english.htm