Old 30-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Tex John

Default More Friendly Mite-/Fungi-/Insecticides?

Howdy all,

I've been following the Buttonwood conversation and was a bit surprised you
wouldn't use some "-cides" on particular species of plants. That made me
wonder what organic, non-toxic or less-toxic solutions others use. With kids
and cats in my tree area, I try to limit my garden's toxicity level as much
as possible.

I know I like to use Neem Oil (the simple, pressed, ingestable variety --
not the super concentrated and toxic variety) for Spider Mites and Aphids.
It kills Aphids on the spot but I understand practically any oil will
smother them. It kills scale as well, but the bug must eat it and if the
scale doesn't move that day...so it usually takes a number of applications.
Even knocks Black Spot off for a few weeks. Can use it in the house, too.
However, other than Aphids, it takes a while for the bugs to die off. If I
have a bad infestation I use the Safer 3-in-1 spray bottles which is a
concentrated Neem product and is toxic but is also organic. If I remember
correctly, I mix 1 T Neem Oil, 1 t Dish Soap and 1 qt Water in a hand
sprayer. Works good for eczema (itchy skin :) from working outside too
much, too, by putting a few dropper fulls in a bath or a dropper full in a
lotion bottle.

Thanks,
John