Old 30-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Tex John

Default More Friendly Mite-/Fungi-/Insecticides?

Howdy all,

I've been following the Buttonwood conversation and was a bit surprised you
wouldn't use some "-cides" on particular species of plants. That made me
wonder what organic, non-toxic or less-toxic solutions others use. With kids
and cats in my tree area, I try to limit my garden's toxicity level as much
as possible.

I know I like to use Neem Oil (the simple, pressed, ingestable variety --
not the super concentrated and toxic variety) for Spider Mites and Aphids.
It kills Aphids on the spot but I understand practically any oil will
smother them. It kills scale as well, but the bug must eat it and if the
scale doesn't move that day...so it usually takes a number of applications.
Even knocks Black Spot off for a few weeks. Can use it in the house, too.
However, other than Aphids, it takes a while for the bugs to die off. If I
have a bad infestation I use the Safer 3-in-1 spray bottles which is a
concentrated Neem product and is toxic but is also organic. If I remember
correctly, I mix 1 T Neem Oil, 1 t Dish Soap and 1 qt Water in a hand
sprayer. Works good for eczema (itchy skin :) from working outside too
much, too, by putting a few dropper fulls in a bath or a dropper full in a
lotion bottle.

Thanks,
John

Old 30-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Nina

There are two reasons why you might not use a given pesticide on a
given plant:

1) If a product hasn't been registered for use on a given plant, it
can't legally be used on that plant (Although I realize I'm the only
one who pays attention to this....). Most labels say "for yard
ornamentals:, and that can be taken to mean any plant in your yard,
including bonsai. To be on the safe side, before you spray, declare
loudly: "Why, look at these yard ornamentals!. I need to spray them as
directed by the label!".

2) If a product has been tested on a given plant species, and has been
found to be phytotoxic. When this is the case, the label will usually
say something to that effect. You should always test a product before
using it anyway, because cultivars have different sensitivites, and the
plants we use in bonsai are often not common in general ornamental
commerce.

However, my original post was cautioning against the wholesale use of
broadspectrum insecticides. This is a silly thing to do, because it
leads to development of resistant pests, and it can lead to mite
outbreaks, as well as poison the environment. Most bonsai growers
doing spot-spraying of trees with known pests are being very
responsible.

Nina.