Old 30-12-2004, 05:43 PM
Phil L

Default Shirley?

Or Alicante?
That is the question! - I have a few packets of each of these tomato seeds
and wondered if any URGlers had any preferences for either? taste wise.
Whichever I decide to sow will be after the next few weeks, under glass and
indoors until they are big enough to be re-potted and then planted directly
into 'virgin' soil in May (as in nothing's been grown in it for years,
except nettles!)
The GH gets full sun all day and will be heated at first, gro-bags are out
as we can't keep them moist enough, so I'm hoping the actual soil won't be
too cold for them come mid May.

Unwins Exhibition onions...yes I have some packet of these too and am giving
'em a whirl in the next few weeks, not for showing or anything like that,
just to eat...are they decent onions for eating or has taste been sacrificed
for size?
A trench has been prepared for them with lashings of horse manure and last
years compost, newspaper and all kinds of other goodies.

I do know about 'hardening off' and will check this group when the time
get's nearer to make sure I don't kill 'em all.

TIA