Old 30-12-2004, 05:43 PM
Phil L

Default Shirley?

Or Alicante?
That is the question! - I have a few packets of each of these tomato seeds
and wondered if any URGlers had any preferences for either? taste wise.
Whichever I decide to sow will be after the next few weeks, under glass and
indoors until they are big enough to be re-potted and then planted directly
into 'virgin' soil in May (as in nothing's been grown in it for years,
except nettles!)
The GH gets full sun all day and will be heated at first, gro-bags are out
as we can't keep them moist enough, so I'm hoping the actual soil won't be
too cold for them come mid May.

Unwins Exhibition onions...yes I have some packet of these too and am giving
'em a whirl in the next few weeks, not for showing or anything like that,
just to eat...are they decent onions for eating or has taste been sacrificed
for size?
A trench has been prepared for them with lashings of horse manure and last
years compost, newspaper and all kinds of other goodies.

I do know about 'hardening off' and will check this group when the time
get's nearer to make sure I don't kill 'em all.

TIA

Old 30-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Phil L
writes
Or Alicante?
That is the question! - I have a few packets of each of these tomato seeds
and wondered if any URGlers had any preferences for either? taste wise.
Whichever I decide to sow will be after the next few weeks, under glass and
indoors until they are big enough to be re-potted and then planted directly
into 'virgin' soil in May (as in nothing's been grown in it for years,
except nettles!)
The GH gets full sun all day and will be heated at first, gro-bags are out
as we can't keep them moist enough, so I'm hoping the actual soil won't be
too cold for them come mid May.

Both Shirley and Alicante are excellent tomato varieties for flavour and
for being suited to non-commercial growing. Why not try some of each,
then you can compare how they turn out in your care. Your soil should
give good results, we often use nettle infusion for tomatoes. Don't give
the plants any extra feed until their first trusses are set. Your plan
sounds a little early, but it could work if you can maintain minimum air
and soil temperature of 60F/18C 24/7 from seeding onwards. Make sure
they have plenty of air when the sun is high, and not too much humidity.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 30-12-2004, 06:53 PM
shazzbat

"Phil L" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You'll find that planting the Shirley and holidaying in Alicante is much
better than the other way round.))

I would plant out half and half. This way you should get some you like, and
you never know, you might like both. If someone says one is better than the
other and you only plant that one, then you happen not to like that one you
get to look a bit silly, no?

Steve

Old 30-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Cerumen

"Phil L" wrote in message
. ..
Or Alicante?
That is the question! - I have a few packets of each of these tomato

seeds
and wondered if any URGlers had any preferences for either? taste wise.
Whichever I decide to sow will be after the next few weeks, under glass

and
indoors until they are big enough to be re-potted and then planted

directly
into 'virgin' soil in May (as in nothing's been grown in it for years,
except nettles!)

Both are very good in my experience so why not grow both?

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 31-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Phil L

Phil L wrote:

Cheers for the suggestions, I will plant both, but I'm only planning on
about ten plants in total so I hope the remainder of the seeds will stay
fresh 'til spring 06....I wasn't sure if one or the other was a poor
performer or not, but I'll try them both for a bit of variety.

I'm not sowing them until the back end of January, giving them a good ten
weeks indoors to get established, when they will be transferred to a heated
GH for another few weeks before planting in May.

Old 31-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Registered User

Well, I don't like 'tomatos, so how can I comment??

They either have to be cooked, or be of the Buffallo variety (the skin of which which I find tasteless) to be of any use to me.
(at least they don't make me sick, unlike my medication, so I surpose they are worthy after all).

And don't get me started on red, yellow and green peppers........

Happy new year everyone!!

Doug, currently, and progressively getting a bit under the weather.
__________________
Well use it to fertilise the Christmas trees then.
I have a feeling the market is going to peak sometime next January.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Registered User

Sorry about that.
__________________
Old 06-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Nick Gray

"Phil L" wrote in message
.. .
Phil L wrote:

Cheers for the suggestions, I will plant both, but I'm only planning on
about ten plants in total so I hope the remainder of the seeds will stay
fresh 'til spring 06....I wasn't sure if one or the other was a poor
performer or not, but I'll try them both for a bit of variety.

Hi Phil,

Tomato seed will remain viable for 10 years or more, so you should be ok to
use them next year, provided they are stored in a dry, cool, dark place.

FWIW my personal favourite is Gardeners Delight.

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

WIN.."100 Best Gardens in Ireland" Book by Shirley Lanigan inishindie Gardening 0 08-07-2011 07:18 PM
Shirley Shirleyp United Kingdom 3 20-07-2009 12:45 AM
looking for Shirley Pipitone Rev. Mack Australia 0 01-07-2004 06:04 PM
Frost last night in North Shirley, Long Island. Jerry Minasi Edible Gardening 7 07-10-2003 07:02 PM