Old 31-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Steve

Mike wrote:

As you guys know, there is a thin wiry structure in the middle of the
root. If when repotting the orchid you notice that some segments of
the green roots are broken but still attached to the inner core (wire
structure), will those segments still survive? Or do the roots have to
be one continuous root with no breaks? I always remove any dead/mushy
parts, but I'm just wondering if I can leave the rest that appear to
be hanging by the "wire"?

Mike

That's actually a really good question.
I think the part below the break does live on at least for a while. I
suspect the broken part probably tends to die quicker than it would
otherwise but who knows what really goes on down in the pot after the
repotting is completed. I don't!
If I'm repotting a plant and it has more roots than it really needs, I
remove the broken roots. If the plant is a little low on roots, I'll
save the broken ones on the theory that the plant should get some use
out of them while they last.

Steve