Old 02-01-2005, 06:05 AM
Glenna Rose

lid writes:
Hi, I've been looking around the web for information of whether junk
mail burnt is safe or advisable to use as a source of ash in the
garden or compost pile. But I haven't found anything useful yet. This
is junk mail (glossy, semi and non glossy) mostly with colour
printing. Anyone any ideas?

It's my understanding that we shouldn't burn it at all, for any reason,
because of the toxins in the papers and inks (color printing). I certainly
wouldn't burn paper, of any sort, just to use it for ash. It seems the
environmental damage from the burning outweighs any benefit of composting.
It's not quite the same as using ash from wood used for heating or cooking
where we are using a byproduct of other uses. Recycling the paper through
your local agencies is most preferred.

Glenna