Old 31-12-2004, 10:13 PM
Loki

Default burning junk mail for ash

Hi, I've been looking around the web for information of whether junk
mail burnt is safe or advisable to use as a source of ash in the
garden or compost pile. But I haven't found anything useful yet. This
is junk mail (glossy, semi and non glossy) mostly with colour
printing. Anyone any ideas?

--
Cheers,

Old 03-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Bubba

Loki wrote:

Hi, I've been looking around the web for information of whether junk
mail burnt is safe or advisable to use as a source of ash in the
garden or compost pile. But I haven't found anything useful yet. This
is junk mail (glossy, semi and non glossy) mostly with colour
printing. Anyone any ideas?

I'm not sure I'd burn it, but it can certainly be composted (or used for
mulch). The US banned heavy metals in inks years ago, and I've read
from numerous sources that colored inks actually benefit the soil. Worm
composting however, should not (I've read) contain colored inks.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Old 03-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Loki

il Mon, 03 Jan 2005 06:03:30 -0500, Bubba ha scritto:

I'm not sure I'd burn it, but it can certainly be composted (or used for
mulch). The US banned heavy metals in inks years ago, and I've read
from numerous sources that colored inks actually benefit the soil. Worm
composting however, should not (I've read) contain colored inks.

Bubba

It's a confusing world for sure. Inks probably vary a lot and I have
no idea if our inks are different from the US's I've never found
paper mulch pretty to look at. The birds soon have it in tatters,
then the wind takes over...
I'm not sure one can even recycle the highly glossy stuff - too
unlike paper. Doesn't even burn that well either but in winter
sometimes a source of heat is needed :-)
--
Cheers,