Old 03-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Tom2 Tom2.1i8qzn@news
..gardenbanter.co.uk writes
The varieties you mention I have tried and I do not rate them for taste
with the exception of course of Gardeners delight but I do take on board
your comment about the way they are grown having a bearing on
flavour(any tips!

Tomatoes of any variety will lose flavour if their plants are pushed too
hard in the aim of extra production. Commercial growers may need to do
that, hence supermarket pap, but recreational gardeners have the choice
to do better. The two most common ways of pushing tomato plants are over
feeding and over watering. Many tomato plant problems can be traced to
those causes. Another way of pushing them is by trying to grow too many
trusses.

We grow our tomato plants either in pots on a greenhouse staging, or in
the greenhouse floor. We grow them in fresh new organic compost which we
make ourselves. That way the plants normally do not need any additional
nutrients - there is sufficient in the soil for a season's production.
We water them at least once daily by soaking with a water spray mist on
the foliage rather than wetting the soil at the roots. They may need a
second spray on hot dry days.

Keeping the greenhouse lights open is a good way of preventing white-fly
or other aphids, but if they do appear we use a foliar application of
nettle infusion. That will deter the aphids in a very short time, then
it will become ingested into the plant via the leaves. Once there it
will act as a tonic, improving the plant's health, plus improving the
flavour and texture of the fruits. Details of nettle infusion at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html

Tomatoes are at their best quality when they are just fully ripe, but
not over-ripe. In summertime that requires daily cropping, but the
results are more than worth it.

Sorry if this mailing sounds a bit tutorial, but I usually send in
something similar at this time of the year.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.