Old 01-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Registered User

Location: Worcester South west midlands
Default Tomatoes

Hello folks,
This is my first post to this site or any site for that matter so I am not certain that I am doing right! never mind here go's
Can any one recommend a realy tasty tomato, over the years I have grown a number of varieties but I still can not find a better one than gardeners Delight though I did grow a variety called Myrical Sweet some two years ago and it was truly delicious, I can not find this one now anyone?
Cheers.
Tom2
Old 02-01-2005, 06:51 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Tom2 Tom2.1i7czn@news
..gardenbanter.co.uk writes

Hello folks,
This is my first post to this site or any site for that matter so I am
not certain that I am doing right! never mind here go's
Can any one recommend a realy tasty tomato, over the years I have
grown a number of varieties but I still can not find a better one than
gardeners Delight though I did grow a variety called Myrical Sweet some
two years ago and it was truly delicious, I can not find this one now
anyone?
Cheers.
Tom2

Hi Tom2 - welcome to the group. Your mailing is fine, just avoid sending
in any graphics and you'll soon feel at ease here.

Gardener's Delight are an old favourite variety of tomato in the medium
to small sweet red range. They can be grown indoors or out, either as
cordons or as bushes. Grown indoors as cordons they will produce earlier
and larger fruits. Outdoor plants grown bush style give sweet bite sized
tomatoes which are very popular with kiddies. If you want to try
something different, Ailsa Craig, Alicante, Shirley and Harbinger are
good reliable croppers mainly for indoor growth.

Because tomatoes are a popular thing to grow, plant breeders tend to
bring out new varieties each year, so there are many to choose from.
Lots of them are only around for a short time and Myrical Sweet may no
longer be available. Remember though that as with a lot of food crops,
the flavour and texture of tomatoes depends on they way they are grown
as well as their variety. Best wishes.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Registered User

Location: Worcester South west midlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gould
[...]

Thank you for your welcome Alan,
The varieties you mention I have tried and I do not rate them for taste with the exception of course of Gardeners delight but I do take on board your comment about the way they are grown having a bearing on flavour(any tips!
)Thanks again for your response
Tom2
Old 03-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Tom2 Tom2.1i8qzn@news
..gardenbanter.co.uk writes
The varieties you mention I have tried and I do not rate them for taste
with the exception of course of Gardeners delight but I do take on board
your comment about the way they are grown having a bearing on
flavour(any tips!

Tomatoes of any variety will lose flavour if their plants are pushed too
hard in the aim of extra production. Commercial growers may need to do
that, hence supermarket pap, but recreational gardeners have the choice
to do better. The two most common ways of pushing tomato plants are over
feeding and over watering. Many tomato plant problems can be traced to
those causes. Another way of pushing them is by trying to grow too many
trusses.

We grow our tomato plants either in pots on a greenhouse staging, or in
the greenhouse floor. We grow them in fresh new organic compost which we
make ourselves. That way the plants normally do not need any additional
nutrients - there is sufficient in the soil for a season's production.
We water them at least once daily by soaking with a water spray mist on
the foliage rather than wetting the soil at the roots. They may need a
second spray on hot dry days.

Keeping the greenhouse lights open is a good way of preventing white-fly
or other aphids, but if they do appear we use a foliar application of
nettle infusion. That will deter the aphids in a very short time, then
it will become ingested into the plant via the leaves. Once there it
will act as a tonic, improving the plant's health, plus improving the
flavour and texture of the fruits. Details of nettle infusion at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/nettle.html

Tomatoes are at their best quality when they are just fully ripe, but
not over-ripe. In summertime that requires daily cropping, but the
results are more than worth it.

Sorry if this mailing sounds a bit tutorial, but I usually send in
something similar at this time of the year.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Ros Butt

snip Remember though that as with a lot of food crops,
the flavour and texture of tomatoes depends on they way they are grown
as well as their variety. Best wishes.

I quite agree; I always grow mine in the greenhouse, in pots sitting in
gravel trays and only use rainwater for watering, feeding with a liquid
feed when trusses have set. My Gardeners delight were wonderful, and the
larger ones - Alicante - were quite reasonable also.
The 'spares' that I planted outside, which were watered by automatic tap
watering most of the time, and I often forgot to feed, were tasteless in
comparison. BUT... when I had to buy my first shop cherry tomatoes, they
seemed completely and utterly tasteless - surprise surprise!! (Roll on
summer)

best wishes
Ros

Chichester
West Sussex, UK.

Old 03-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Registered User

[...]

Thank you alan,
You may have put your finger on the problem, it seems that in my enthusiasm to get early and plentiful tomatoes I may well be over feeding, I have always grown my tomatoes in large pots or buckets of compost to wich I normally add two small handfuls of dried chicken manure and then commence feeding with a liquid feed after the first truss, they go like the clappers but maybe this is the wrong method?
Thank you for your interest and I will try the nettle tonic for sure this year.
Cheers.
tom2
Old 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Registered User

Location: Worcester South west midlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ros Butt

[...]

Thanks for your imput Ros,
I will certainly use rainwater rather than tap water as a preference as I think that you may well have a valid point there.
Many thanks.
Tom2
Old 04-01-2005, 08:35 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2
I did grow a variety called Myrical Sweet some two years ago and it was truly delicious, I can not find this one now anyone?
Miracle Sweet is an American hybrid still available from the US.

http://www.reimerseeds.com/ProductIn...ductid=TM81-20

US based seed companies won't normally ship to the UK so you will probably need someone to order them for you in the US and ship them.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Tim Challenger

http://tinyurl.com/5m3h2

US based seed companies won't normally ship to the UK so you will
probably need someone to order them for you in the US and ship them.

I've had no trouble getting chilli seeds from the US.
--
Tim C.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Registered User

Location: Worcester South west midlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBrenton
Miracle Sweet is an American hybrid still available from the US.

http://www.reimerseeds.com/ProductIn...ductid=TM81-20

US based seed companies won't normally ship to the UK so you will probably need someone to order them for you in the US and ship them.

Thanks D.J.
I have visited that web site and as you stated the variety is pictured there I will make further enquiries,
Cheers, Tom2