Old 03-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Ros Butt

snip Remember though that as with a lot of food crops,
the flavour and texture of tomatoes depends on they way they are grown
as well as their variety. Best wishes.

I quite agree; I always grow mine in the greenhouse, in pots sitting in
gravel trays and only use rainwater for watering, feeding with a liquid
feed when trusses have set. My Gardeners delight were wonderful, and the
larger ones - Alicante - were quite reasonable also.
The 'spares' that I planted outside, which were watered by automatic tap
watering most of the time, and I often forgot to feed, were tasteless in
comparison. BUT... when I had to buy my first shop cherry tomatoes, they
seemed completely and utterly tasteless - surprise surprise!! (Roll on
summer)

best wishes
Ros

Chichester